Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

If you had to choose between these three....

Between these 3 setups, which one would be better for a starting setup for AP?

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/refracting-telescopes/celestronomnixlt120refractor.cfm

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/refracting-telescopes/celestronadvancedvx6inchrefractortelescope.cfm

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/catadioptric-telescopes/celestronadvancedvx6inchschmidtcassegraintelescope.cfm

The 120 on the CG-4 is by far cheaper and not motorized. I would have to purchase the motors for it and have some money left over for various other odds and ends.

However I am leaning more towards the VX mounts. But with the slight cost difference between them I'm not which way I would go. I have done a bit of research between the SCT's and fracs and the various high and low points of each but was just wondering what some other thoughts would be given the choice between the 2.

I would like to branch out into some DSO images as well as getting some better planetary images with a webcam.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you can discount the CG4 easily. It will come up short in all areas when imaging.

The VX models should be more capable. Although in the UK we`d normally recommend the HEQ5 over the EQ5 Pro (VX), which for you in the US would be the Orion Atlus. A well proven mount.

Hi Matt, good to see your thinking about AP.

I'm not sure about the 3 telescopes you are interested in, but for AP you need a short focal length, equatorial mount and really it needs to be motorised. I bought my kit specifically for AP and I know there are other setups out there I can only advise on what I use.  Depending on your budget you can get some very good deals on this type of setup at about the same price. If you want to go higher I would say the SW200PDS and EQ6 Pro or HEQ5 would be a good setup.

Good luck.

If you might branch out into AP at some point then you could go with the SCT if you could add a focal reducer in future to make it faster. It might not be as good as a dedicated fast refactor but it could be amore flexible instrument. A fast small refractor is good for AP but comes up short for visual work.

My budget for the scope and mount is about 1300USD. The rest of what I would be able to invest is already locked up in a decent DSLR.

The HEQ5Pro is an awesome mount from what I've read, but would eat up the entire budget right there. Either the SCT or the 6" frac on the VX mount is within my budget.

The Advanced VX Mount and HEQ5Pro are similar priced. They have the exact same capabilities + load capacity. The Adv.VX Mount is much better than the old CG5 Mount.

But a lot of People here don't seem to understand that and keep comparing the New Adv.VX Mount With the older CG5 and keep burning it on prejudice.

Ironically, the Celestron VX Mount comes with a 2inch tripod (similar to the NEQ6Pro) and provides actually more stability than the HEQ5Pro.

Try call them and see if they can make a good package deal for you with for example, an Celestron Advanced VX Mount (or HEQ5 Pro) + Skywatcher Equinox 80ED Pro.

You should be able to get it for the same price as the Adv. VX + SCT6 combo.

Then you will have some spare cash to get the flattener for the Equinox 80ED Pro.

Mount. mount, mount - Imaging is all about the mount. If you get one that is not accurate enough with the tracking motors or not stable enough you will end up having a torrid time. AP is about collecting data, not throwing it away due to tracking errors, eggy stars and the like. Scrimp on a mount at your peril.

People on here recommend an HEQ5 (Sorry, I don't speak American!! :)) and 80ED for good reason - It works. It really is that simple. I can't help thinking that if you don't have the budget for a good mount, then wait until you do. A wobbly mount will cost you more in the long run as you will upgrade sooner or later. Can you not buy second hand?

I would like to branch out into some DSO images as well as getting some better planetary images with a webcam.

One question has to be is this to be a dedicated AP setup or visual which will also be used for AP. If the latter then aperture rules and AP will be a compromise. If the former then the mount is everything.

My budget for the scope and mount is about 1300USD. The rest of what I would be able to invest is already locked up in a decent DSLR.

The HEQ5Pro is an awesome mount from what I've read, but would eat up the entire budget right there. Either the SCT or the 6" frac on the VX mount is within my budget.

I see what you mean. The VX is on offer for $799, while the Orion Sirius EQ-G (HEQ5 in American) is $1099 on offer. Quite a difference. But i think it would be worth seeking out a secondhand Orion Sirius, not sure what they go for in the US secondhand.

The VX mount is quite comparable with the Heq5. With a short focal length scope they will both perform just as good.

However, if you plan on using eqmod I think, not sure about this, that only the Heq5 will work.

Sent from Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk.

Between these 3 setups, which one would be better for a starting setup for AP?

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/refracting-telescopes/celestronomnixlt120refractor.cfm

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/refracting-telescopes/celestronadvancedvx6inchrefractortelescope.cfm

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/catadioptric-telescopes/celestronadvancedvx6inchschmidtcassegraintelescope.cfm

The 120 on the CG-4 is by far cheaper and not motorized. I would have to purchase the motors for it and have some money left over for various other odds and ends.

However I am leaning more towards the VX mounts. But with the slight cost difference between them I'm not which way I would go. I have done a bit of research between the SCT's and fracs and the various high and low points of each but was just wondering what some other thoughts would be given the choice between the 2.

Hi,

The third one has a chance if you add a 0.63X FF/FR to bring it down to f6.3. The AVX mount is good, better than my HEQ5 Pro with more accurate motors. The GoTo precision is fine too so is the tracking ability, the problem is the choice of the scopes, the first two are no hopers and the last one at F10 is very good for planetary imaging but not DSOs. With the FF/FR you can do some nice deep galaxy shots or the odd distant Planetary Nebula but as a wide field DSO imager it has no chance.

Regards,

A.G

If you could up the budget to around $1550.00  then I would suggest an Explore Scientific 80 mm Apo triplet as these are  very good , I have the Ascension which is  the same scope and optically very good indeed, then get the  AVX mount.

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/optical-tubes/explorescientific80mmf6airspacedtripletedapochromaticrefractortelescope.cfm

http://www.optcorp.com/celestron-advanced-vx-equatorial-mount-91519.html

If you have to get the AVX first , the mount is the most importatnt link in the chain, long FL scopes are difficult to guide even if you did manage to budget for guiding so I think that short Apo or EDs are your best bet as the mount once properly polar aligned and balanced can give you a minute or so of unguided exposure without star trailing.

Regards,

A.G

Thank you everyone for your input so far. Your patience means a lot to me. I think that just starting out in visual observing has leaned me toward the idea that aperture is king. But AP is an entirely new ballpark. Heck, it's not even in the same league. Good suggestions have been just an 80mm scope. So would a shorter FL trump large aperture? 

Would an 80mm f/6 be better than a 130mm f/5?

Like I said before, I don't expect some of the great images I've seen here on SGL. If I bought the VX mount and got some rings to mount my 130mm newt at f/5 would I be able to get some passable images of brighter DSO's?

I just find this so frustrating lol! I feel like for every step I take forward, I end up taking a huge leap back.

I find it helps to think about mounts and telescopes totally separately. Start with the mount and ensure you get something that tracks accurately, carries enough strength and weight to provide a solid platform for the maximum size of ota you're likely to put on it, and has the facilities you require depending on whether you're imaging or observing (or both).

Then you can pick and choose which scope(s) you want to put on it, which in turn will depend on type of object you're aiming for, and whether you want to just look, or get some snaps. This will also determine which type of camera to use - no one single camera type is ideal for all objects.

So long as you're happy with the capacity and budget - you won't go wrong with either the VX or the HEQ5 - both very capable "all rounder" mounts. Once you've made a choice - then ask yourself what you really want to do with it.... for that you need to look up to the sky lol. Hth :)

Thank you everyone for your input so far. Your patience means a lot to me. I think that just starting out in visual observing has leaned me toward the idea that aperture is king. But AP is an entirely new ballpark. Heck, it's not even in the same league. Good suggestions have been just an 80mm scope. So would a shorter FL trump large aperture? 

Like I said before, I don't expect some of the great images I've seen here on SGL. If I bought the VX mount and got some rings to mount my 130mm newt at f/5 would I be able to get some passable images of brighter DSO's?

I just find this so frustrating lol! I feel like for every step I take forward, I end up taking a huge leap back.

Yes you could start out with that. Nothing wrong with it. Then instead of immediately buying a 80mm Scope, you can then instead invest it in a guide package. (QHY5II + finderguider is cheap and excellent).

The Advanced VX Mount can handle the 130mm newt easily! So that´s no problem. :)

tcher

The problem with your 130 is wether it can achieve focus with either a DSLR or a webcam. You need to do a search to see if anyone uses this for imaging. I have seen some good work done by people using a SkyWatcher 130 PDS but this has a different focuser and a shortened tube to push the point of focus further out and away from the tube for the DSLR use.

Regards,

A.G

Your avx mount is fine. I have one and I use it with a 150mm f/4 newt imaging newt. I have also been successful a few times, but more bad than good, with an 200mm newt at 1000mm fl with that mount. With all three of my refractors of 80mm or less aperature and 600mm or so fl or less, the avx is all you need. I also have the HEQ5 mount (Orion Sirius) mount and the avx, although alot louder, is much easier to use, unless you are planning on using eqmod . Straight out of the box setup, polar aligning routines, handset use, goto setups, the avx is better. The actual accuracy goes to the HEQ5 though. Same weight specs.

Been digging around the web and sounds like a DSLR on the 130SLT is plausible. Most people had issues getting the camera to focus with a T-ring and T-adapter. 

My understanding is that the ring attaches to the camera then the ring to the adapter and then the adapter slips into the focuser tube like an EP would?

Hi Matt,

I use a SW ED80 Pro on a HEQ5 guided using a SW Sync-Guider. Excellent for DSO and lunar. For planetary I have a MAK 180 Pro. The latter I purchased much later.

I would say the HEQ5 (even un guided) is a super mount a really sturdy for my set up (I use a DSLR). Excellent crisp wide field and this you keep you well busy. You could go for a planetary scope later. Just beware the pitfall of trying to get everything within budget as you will be forced to compromise somewhere. Much better to hunt out a good set up for DSO initially in my opinion. Much more targets and much more challenging overall.

Hope this helps a little

Ps, I love my MAK also

Rick

Archived