SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello

andymac1981

Hi folks

My name is Andy and I'm based in Northern Ireland about 10 miles SE of Belfast. I have always had an interest in the stars and astronomy and at Chrsitmas was bought my 1st telescope as a surprise, a skywatcher mercury 707. I have manged even with the bad weather to get out a few times with it and have been bitten by the bug.

I also have a keen interest in photography and would like to combine the 2 hobbies. Just on here to glean some information and interact with others who have a similar interest.

Andy

Hi Andy, welcome to SGL.. Just to let you know that our Astronomy club will

be holding our annual Astronomy festival this coming Saturday the 1st of Feb

to take place in Galway city.. For more information visit:www.galwayastronomyclub.ie

Cheers Roy

Hi Andy and welcome to the forums.

It would be best to first learn some basics in visual observing before leaping into imaging. To start with, do you have a planisphere to locate some of the easier objects? If not, you can print out one for each month at the link below. They are free and have simple instructions for their use.

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

Welcome to SGL Andy - Glad that you found us. I would suggest putting your imaging thoughts on the back burner for the moment, certainly until you've researched imaging to death!! It would appear to make sense to combine both hobbies, but that's where the sense stops!! In reality you need to forget everything you know and start again. If you see a copy of the book '\Making Every Photon Count' available, then do make a purchase, it will be worth it in the end.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Thanks for the welcome folks!

Roy: I'd love to go to Galway and seen the details on a local forum but I won't be ankle to make it.

MrQ and Swag72: I intend to get used to my telescope before I start tinkering around with astro photography vi had read a few intros into it but u will need a book I think. I have an app for my phone and some sky maps I have been using to identify the constellations and intend to keep learning that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived