NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Refractor Refurb

Mr Spock

I had this Helios 120mm refractor sitting in a cupboard. Unused, unloved and like an ugly duckling in need of a transformation into a beautiful swan.

The dismantling was easy; there's not many parts to one of these!

The dew shield slides off.

The mirror cell unscrews from the tube.

The focusser is held in an adaptor ring by three screws, the adaptor ring itself held to the tube by three screws.

The focussing tube comes out of the focusser.

The focussing mechanism is held in by four screws.

Bits galore, all in need of a little TLC.

So, a few cans of enamel later, we have this:

D3H_41231024_zpsadb4d584.jpg

D3H_41241024_zps4f51550b.jpg

D3H_41261024_zpsfd297772.jpg

D3H_41271024_zpsad7723d9.jpg

Total cost around £20 - worth every penny and more :smile:

You've certainly created a beaut. Michael. It looks really classy.

A refractor in this livery, is a pleasure to just look at, and as much of a treat as when looked through.

Nice job sir, and well done indeed. It also beats the hell out of sitting in an armchair watching TV :icon_salut: .

Ron.

I used Halfords enamel spray paint. I think they are around £7 each - I used one black and two white tins.

It's all about preparation and patience. Make sure any lacquer on the previous paint is rubbed off and the paint sanded to a matt finish. Clean all surfaces before starting as unclean surfaces will 'blob'. I then use 7-8 thin coats and smooth between coats if the finish starts to look a bit rough.

I've just been out looking at the moon. The scope seems fine following it's dismantling. That focusser is stiff though... (it was like that before). I'm not sure it's worth spending money on something better. It's ok for low powers which is what I'll be using the scope for.

The moon at x125 looked fine with good sharpness, though seeing is poor. x167 was pushing it. I've always thought that x1 per mm of aperture is ideal and more magnification doesn't really bring out more detail; I reckon x125 is the max for this scope.

CA is tollerable at x125 but noticable at x167 - as good as it gets for a simple achro.

It does look good though!

Archived