NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Surrey

Nightjar

Hi Everybody,

I'm an (almost) beginner in astronomy, based under the cloudy light polluted skies of Surrey in the UK. I've always been interested in the night sky and oddly enough I have no problem in getting my head round all those big numbers. Like the rest of you I also like to look at all the very pretty things up there . Having kids has taught me that it's perfectly possible to stay up all night, night after night, which is a big help in our hobby, and I have equipped myself with the basics - loads of layers of ski wear, gloves, socks and hats. It appears everyone in Surrey has ski wear, I'm the only one who doesn't intend to ever go skiing in it.

I'm also lucky enough to have an (old) Meade LX90 8" and have started accumulating all the gadgets. Its GOTO capability never ceases to amaze me and we've had a lot of fun stargazing with family and friends in the back garden. I just hope that people would be more impressed with what they're supposed to be looking at rather than admiring the green laser pointer !

Soon I hope to be ready to start imaging so there will no doubt be a few questions coming your way. I've had a few results so far using the Meade LPI, made much easier I have to admit, by supplying my own teenage techno-geek on the Software end. Oh, and apparently we will have voice control enabled soon. I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks in advance for you welcome to the boards.

Clear Skies !

Welcome to SGL Nightjar.

Glad you joined us, as I am sure you will find it an ejoyable experience. There is plenty of help should you need to ask anything.

You have the LX90 too. I have had mine a while now, but I have take a while to get a load of imaging stuff accrued. Also built an Ob. to make life a bit easier hopefully.

Cheers.

Ron. :D

Archived