Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some Important Tools The Beginner Should Have

Mr Q

Of coarse there are many available but the most important (useful) for the beginner to have for a good start observing should be mentioned here to help them out.

For me, I suggest:

A planisphere made for outdoor use in humid conditions. A monthly one is available to print out for free at  http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

A red or very dim white chart viewing light (torch).

A catalog list of easy to difficult objects for each constellation such as with http://www.deepskywatch.com/files/dso-guide/DSO-guide-7000-const-mag.pdf , which is a free download that lists the brightest (easiest) objects first for each constellation.

A safe observing site (at home is best or with companions elsewhere).

I'm sure you experienced observers can add to the list so lets give these beginners a helpful hand. And since some are youngsters, costs are to be considered also.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 for adequate (ie layers of really warm) clothing. My patience, and thus observing success, and thus enjoyment of an evening is directly proportional to how warm my... cheeks are  :blush: 

Definitely this. More layers as opposed to 1 thick layer so you can add/remove to suit. It can get very cold on even a seemingly mild night just sitting there at the eye piece. I learnt this the hard way.

Clothing,Cheshire,Stellarium to make a plan and the plan. oh and a relatively dark site. Ergonomics are nice too but you can usually make do just by putting the scope on something or getting a chair or a bucket under your foot. 

Permit your eyes to become fully dark adapted and (as referred to) if using a red torch, ensure that it does not glare. Combined with a dim (1 led or regulated) light, I use a magnifying glass so as to see the small print on a planisphere or sky chart.

I would say that making yourself comfortable for what is potentially 3hrs in 1 degree C evenings is essential. Warm clothing, a chair, cup or flask of coffee/tea, warm etc.

When you are comfortable, you need to be able to see! A red torch (which I need to get), and a small place to put things, some scopes have an eyepiece holder, if not you may need a small table or tray to put your eyepieces and star charts on.

Then start looking at gear! Without the incentive to look at the stars, why buy hundreds of £'s worth of equipment?

Excellent tips guys! Sometimes even we experienced observers forget some of the more important things to bring or do after traveling many miles to a dark sky site or just outside at home.

Here's a few more:

When arriving at a dark sky site, use the hood (bonnet) of your car (if flat enough) to keep equipment on. If something rolls or slides off, it will be on the ground within a foot or two from the auto, making recovery easier and quicker.

Make sure your observing site is free of things on the ground that you might trip over.

Always let someone know where you will be and when you will return if traveling to a distant, remote dark sky site.

At distant observing sites, make sure you have a form of communications with you such as a cell phone (make sure it has coverage there), CB radio, etc. in case you need help.

In your back yard (garden), don't let pets wander around the observing area to prevent tripping over them.

On the clothing front, I found some electricaly heated gear in Maplins the other day. I brought the jacket for about 37 quid. Put it on first,next to me body, and load the two packs up with 4 AA's each and then put me top gear on. Generates heat around the back area and kept me real comfortable all evening. Thinking about getting the matching gloves next :grin:

A closeable box large enough to keep all observing accessories (EPs, torch, spare batteries, sky maps, etc.) in so that not one thing has to be looked for at the start of an observing session. This box should be stored near/at where the scope is stored.

A closeable box large enough to keep all observing accessories (EPs, torch, spare batteries, sky maps, etc.) in so that not one thing has to be looked for at the start of an observing session. This box should be stored near/at where the scope is stored.

Agreed, so much. All too often for me "grab and go" turns into "run around the house like a headless chicken trying to find everything and go". Now I've got everything bar the scope shoved in one bag, so it's only my warm clothes I end up running around looking for.

I always take along a small camping table for supporting eyepiece case, charts etc. If breezy I Usually use the car as a wind-break. Also a cover to throw over the scope if a sudden shower occurs.  I set up the scope on a mat, useful for protecting the bottom of the dob base, leveling the ground, catching potential items that may drop and perhaps a bit of additional insulation for your feet.

I always keep reference material inside clear sheet protectors to shield the pages from dew. Plus, with some felt tip markers, I can make notes on these covers, then wipe them clean after. Some experimenting is needed to find which brand is erasable after it dries. I keep all my printed material in a 3 ring binder for ease of use.

Archived