Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some Important Tools The Beginner Should Have

Mr Q

Have a basic working knowledge of the cardinal directions in the night sky with Polaris (the North Star) as "north".  A planisphere  is a good tool to learn this valuable knowledge.

Having trouble finding deep space objects to look at? Try slowly scanning the Milky Way - its full of things to look at and still offers lots of objects when it is barely visible in light polluted sky.

When scanning the sky for a chosen object or just anything to look at in your scope, always use a low power eyepiece and scan slowly. Once an object is detected, switch to higher powers for more details.

Take lots of breaks with some stretching or walking to loosen up any stiff muscles from being stationary at the eyepiece  for more than several minuets at a time.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a red torch and somewhere to put things! When I first started I had stuff on my lap and EPs in a small camcorder bag around my neck. Trying to hold the torch, move the scope and use a book while juggling EPs soon got really annoying. I've now got a small collapsible plastic table that I keep the book and camera bag on. You really do need ease of access to stuff.

A set of star charts can't be over stated. They are available on the web to print out and allow you to explore each constellation in detail. Do one constellation at a time and if any objects are not found, come back to the constellation one or more times to finally find it.

Practice the art of "star hopping". Its the easiest and most successful way to find objects, both easy and difficult ones.

And look for the brightest and largest objects first (easiest to find) within one or two fields of view from the "pilot star". Once successful at these, you can try for more difficult objects several fields away.

Use the below list to select your target - the brightest objects are listed first for each constellation but be aware - some large objects may be faint while others bright, depending on their apparent size. For this info, check the "SB" and "Size" listings for each object.

http://www.deepskywatch.com/files/dso-guide/DSO-guide-7000-const-mag.pdf

A set of star charts can't be over stated. They are available on the web to print out and allow you to explore each constellation in detail. Do one constellation at a time and if any objects are not found, come back to the constellation one or more times to finally find it.

Practice the art of "star hopping". Its the easiest and most successful way to find objects, both easy and difficult ones.

And look for the brightest and largest objects first (easiest to find) within one or two fields of view from the "pilot star". Once successful at these, you can try for more difficult objects several fields away.

Use the below list to select your target - the brightest objects are listed first for each constellation but be aware - some large objects may be faint while others bright, depending on their apparent size. For this info, check the "SB" and "Size" listings for each object.

http://www.deepskywatch.com/files/dso-guide/DSO-guide-7000-const-mag.pdf

This is my current favourite way of observing: choosing one constellation that's well placed in the sky and getting to know its different stars, its outline, the associated legends, and any DSO that are contained within it. It makes the expanse of the night sky really manageable.

Wolfpaw - It has worked for me since I started observing some 50+ years ago. Learning to observe with success is like learning to walk - one step at a time - one constellation at a time. And when you go back to it later, it will seem to be very familiar ground that beckons more exploration :cool:

And not forgetting a set each of Metric and Imperial Allen keys and Torx keys ( these , not individuals that are easy to lose http://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-pocket-8-piece-hex-key-set ) and a set of screwdrivers covering Flat , Pozi and Philips in a selection of sizes , electricians s'drivers are easy to find in the dark ...  :grin:

There are far too many things that can and do work loose and need an occasional tweak to be without them.

Another thing I'm never without is a few lengths of double sided Velcro like this ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/170999707150?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95) perfect for managing cables ... 

I gues I'm lucky..only in winter the temperature drops to around 10 degr C here in the mountains.

My best companion at night?

small radio next to my scope, and a thermos with coffee..

10 degrees celsius, blimey, that's warm! It's only three or four degrees above that in my room at the moment :rolleyes:.

One of the perks of living in durban, where the average temperature in

winter is around 24 degrees C.

Sounds silly... but many of nights I have been sitting next to my scope at midnight,

worrying whether or not my sweat droplets would fall onto the primary..

Having said that...

sometimes I had to go inside the house..

and change my shorts for tracksuit pants..

:)

I agree with the radio, although only when at home in the garden. Even late at night there is background traffic noise and I find a quiet radio helps block it out.

At some of the dark sites, well away from traffic I enjoy just listening to the sounds of the night, surprising what you see and hear while sitting quiet at a scope.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

On the clothing front, I found some electricaly heated gear in Maplins the other day. I brought the jacket for about 37 quid. Put it on first,next to me body, and load the two packs up with 4 AA's each and then put me top gear on. Generates heat around the back area and kept me real comfortable all evening. Thinking about getting the matching gloves next :grin:

To keep warm, an old school option works for me.  A "hot water bottle" tucked inside the big

front pocket of a hooded sweatshirt. Keeps me comfortable for hours, I even take one in an

insulated bag when I travel to an observing meet.  The operating cost is negligible.

( OK, you can all laugh now.   :grin:  )

post-21902-0-85938200-1391680415_thumb.j

Check the local "pound shop" for heat pads. I get a pack of three large pads each a little under A5 size for a pound. Each one lasts about 4 hrs. They are self adhesive so I stick one in the small of my back in the kidney area, really help keep you warm on a long cold night.

typed on my phone, any spelling mistakes are due to lack of attention and fat fingers!

To keep warm, an old school option works for me.  A "hot water bottle" tucked inside the big

front pocket of a hooded sweatshirt. Keeps me comfortable for hours, I even take one in an

insulated bag when I travel to an observing meet.  The operating cost is negligible.

( OK, you can all laugh now.   :grin:  )

You could always fill it with tea or coffee to kill 2 birds with 1 stone!!! :p

How about making sure that batteries are charged the day before if you are planning a trip. Not much fun having to use a partly charged laptop or find you DSLR hasn't been charged since you last used it.

A very bright torch to use when you are done observing to scan the ground for anything you may have dropped without knowing it.

A trash bag or sack to put any trash you make in - the only thing you can leave at an observing site is your footprints :grin:

If away from home, bring some toilet paper and a small camping shovel to bury your human waste :eek:

Archived