Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First go at this planetary malarky

rob0971

I have been thinking for a while about giving this a go & after seeing some of the excellent efforts on here decided last night was going to be the night. This was also the first outing for my new Skywatcher AZ EQ6 GT mount & boy is it quiet!  I usually stick to doing DSO photography & have a mono QHY5L II guide cam that i could use. After a rough polar alignment & single star align, I slewed over to Jupiter to try & get focus. After adding a ton of adaptors to the focusser i eventually got an image up on the EZplanetary preview screen & set the exposure (gain 12% & 4ms exposure). I set the time to 100 secs & pressed record. What i ended up with was a fuzzy indistinct disc with a couple of faint markings on it. But after running the avi through Registax & playing with the wavelets.......WOW! I was totally blown away with the resulting image. Now it might not be up to the standard of many of the excellent imagers on this forum but i was very happy with it for a first attempt.

Jupiter220114_zps75bf4d92.jpg

Taken through a Skywatcher 120mm ED pro scope with a 2x TV powermate.

All in all a very pleasant experience & a nice break from the hours of data collecting for dso work.

Very nice focus does not look bad but a see a few rings on the edges to much gain ? Great image all the same a shadow of a moon and grs

Pat

Thanks Pat. Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by rings? Could you explain please?

An excellent first image.  Very well done this was indeed the night!

Best regards,

Ralph

Archived