Next telescope..... decision decisions

Bryan h

I'm looking to upgrade but I'm not sure what to go for..

The skyliner 300p dob or the revelation 12" m-crf which is about 170 pounds cheaper,why?

The skyliner 250px or the Orion skyquest xt10i.

All and any advice welcome or different options

Cheers

If it were me I would go for the Skywatcher 300p. It is a large scope so make sure you think you are strong enough to shift it.

Here's an old review you may want to read...http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/84.pdf

The 250px is a little bit more maneuverable. Both are one man jobs and although I am a weakling I can shift a 300p around on a sack trolley quite easily.

As for the Revelations -There's a few owners on this thread that are very happy with their Dobs.  :)

Hi Bryan and welcome to the forum, You might want to put your question over on the beginners equipment section as more people view that part of the forum than here. Seems like you're making an important investment in kit so want you to have as broad a range of opinion as possible so that you can make the right decision for your needs.  :smiley:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Im 6ft 8 so shifting it shouldn't be an issue. The skyliner 300p is the one I'm thinking of going for, but the revelation is a fair bit cheaper for the same size scope. I want keep the price down but not at the expense of quality. I currently own a Skywatcher 127 mak which was my first telescope. The next one is going to be a big jump in terms of aperture size.

Hello Bryan ive got the orion xt10i and find it a great scope I can carry the scope and stand in one piece out to my garden I live about 10 miles outside Cardiff and the sky quality isn't the best I was spending hours locating objects and I didn't want to waste time on the rare clear night so the push to made it a lot easier and its very accurate but all the scopes your looking at are good just what suits you best

One thing to be aware of, is that in the first generation of Revelation Dobs,  people have told me they were not over-coated optics so ended up needing to be re-coated far sooner than other scopes.  (In fact I've never heard of anyone having a SW mirror re-coated, has anyone else?)

I'm not sure if the new generation are the same.  If I was thinking of buying one I'd give Telescope House a ring and ask before splashing the cash.

I'd also ad that I had an old generation 12inch Revelation Dob, and the optics were excellent, as are the SW optics I've seen over the last few years.  Never seen a bad one.

Cheers for all the greetings and advice .i narrowed it down to the skyliner 12" or the revelation 12" because I know if I went for a 10" scope in a few months I would be thinking I should have gone for the 12.

So after giving telescope house a call I've ordered the revelation and he told me I wouldn't be disappointed now all I have to is wait and try and work out how to collimate that bad boy....

Archived