Newbie alert!!!!

Knockoffnige

Hi guys Nigel here just bought my first ever telescope a skywatcher skyhawk 114 with the eq1 mount, I hope this telescope is ok I'm mainly interested in planets at the moment and would like a bit of help with getting started.

What eye pieces would be best to view planets I've got a Barlow x2 also a 10mm and 25mm eye piece are this ok for planetary view all help and info is greatly appreciated

Thanks Nigel

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Nigel. I am also new so can't really advise on much, but be sure to check the forums there is a thread about eyepeices . But my main advice would be not to worry about adding to your scope yet just get used to using it 4 now and enjoy it. I have had some great views of jupiter with my 10mm eyepiece. But I think you have to take in to account that different scopes and eyepieces have a different magnification, NOTE I THINK, I AM A NEWBIE. lol

Happy stargazing

Thanks for warm welcome, James not to sure about what's in the focuser how would I find out??

Hey lee I've got a 10mm eye piece I'll have a crack next time sky's are clear had a go last Friday saw Jupiter but it was a little blurry!!

Thanks for warm welcome, James not to sure about what's in the focuser how would I find out??

Just look down it before putting the eyepiece in.  Or find the label on the scope that says what focal length it is.  I expect it's either 500mm or 1000mm.

James

Hey lee I've got a 10mm eye piece I'll have a crack next time sky's are clear had a go last Friday saw Jupiter but it was a little blurry!!

May sound daft but did you use your scope indoors? Or if you did use it outdoors did you leave it at least 20 mins to cool down to the outside temp? The blurry sight may be because of heat.

Focal length is 1000, scope was outside for about an hour so should have cooled down??

Yes that's plenty of time. May have just been bad seeing conditions although the sky can seem clear there can still be turbulence in the air. More knowledgeable members will help you If the problem persists

Focal length is 1000, scope was outside for about an hour so should have cooled down??

I'm fairly sure that means it has a barlow lens in the focuser tube then.

The 10mm eyepiece doesn't have a great reputation.  I'd be quite tempted to look at replacing that and, perhaps adding another shorter focal length eyepiece as well, somewhere around the 6mm or 5mm mark.  I'm really not sure of the advisability of using a barlow with a scope that already has a barlow in the focuser.  Someone else might be able to comment on that.  If its likely to be fine then I might choose to replace the 10mm and go for a longer focal length in addition and then use the barlow with both, or perhaps even go for an 18mm and 12mm using the barlow to provide 9mm and 6mm.  Depends what your budget is too, really.

James

Archived