SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Clear skies

lhuchison

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely beautiful out there in South Oxfordshire - looks like we're in for a great night.  If you're at work, get yerself home and get that scope cooling!

Totally failed to do some white light solar imaging today (the sun barely gets above the tree line here) but I just had a quick pop at the moon while waiting for it to get properly dark...

post-11821-0-72977100-1389289980_thumb.p

Now what to image tonight!

Ian

I mean, if a computer device says so, it MUST be true! But remember, those forecasters can only be accurate within the next few hours. Any forecasts looking further into the future has little chance of any useable accuracy. So why predict any further into the future? We in the U.S. have a useful answer to any such mysteries - "Follow the dollar (the path ALWAYS leads to the real answer" :sad:

But seriously, I hope you all have a clear night...or should I saw a clear hour or so being in the U.K. :grin:

Are you sure, this will be the third time recently I've got prepared then had to pack up for clouds, looking at the radar image there's a bank of cloud heading in from the West, can't tell how fast it's moving though.

Dave

I legged it home, new to the hobby, have a new 200p dob delivered yesterday, cloudy last night. Gutted! Got home, put the dob out to cool..

Just come in from first time using the telescope, first time using any telescope! Saw the moon, felt like I could reach out and touch it. Swung around to Jupiter! Wow! First time I have ever seen it for real, completely blew my mind.

looking like SGL2014 will have to be watched in the future, want to get out and start ticking off those lunar 100s tonight if poss, gutted I missed the x last night as I have wanted to see this for the last couple of months.

Scope cooled nicely for a couple of hours. Two coats on and two trousers! Clear but very cold. I'm off to the garden with flask of tea and a full belly, bliss!

7.8 C in the obsy so quite balmy :)

Dave

Usual story here in North Somerset, Clear skies all day, then as the hour draws near the cloud cover builds and the forecast changes

I'm less than 25 miles south west of Weston and there's been far more cloud than Sun here today :(

James

Usual story here in North Somerset, Clear skies all day, then as the hour draws near the cloud cover builds and the forecast changes

Just a few miles up the road from you and my clear skies have been replaced with 90% cloud cover now. I got about 20 mins observing the moon earlier and that was it.

There is the odd sudden shower about too so the scope has gone in the greenhouse to keep cool but dry.

We will probably get James's rain soon  :rolleyes2:

I'm afraid the cloud does appear to be heading in that general direction :(

The forecast post-midnight is still for clear sky though.  I'm tempted to have a bit of a nap now and see what it's like later.

James

hey all

clear skies here too, all set up for my first ever night of proper observation!

skyliner 250px arrived yesterday, my first scope and i couldn't even wait for dark tonight - been staring at jupiter & the moon since 5pm :)

i have dark skies here, but the moon is high and bright, casting a shadow - will take more than that to put me off tonight though,,,jupiter looks incredible!

here's to a cloudless night - i've got everything crossed that can be crossed.

happy hunting guys.

rich

Archived