Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Luckiest man ever!

Well after a bit of a break due to moving house (with a much darker garden, hooray!) my wonderful fiancee bought me the best engagement pressie ever, EQ6 pro with guidescope and synguider to go with my 200p. I am now an official "all the gear, no idea" club member. I have to say Its very easy looking at the wonderfull images on this forum and thinking " I can do that, just need the kit". I notice a lot of people don't like the synguider but is there any reason for it, ie - didn't work or is it just personal preferance? Its all a bit confusing at the moment but i'm really looking forward to learning from my hundreds of mistakes!

Can anyone think of anything to make the process any easier? I already have making every photon count, very helpfull.

Phil.

Congrats on the mount :) and don't worry if the synguider doesn't go to plan as the EQ6 will give you 2-3 minute subs unguided if all else fails. You just need good polar allignment, balance, and a bit of wind shelter. Let us know how you get on :)

Chris

glad to hear some people like the synguider, and i'll certainly be posting my progress, however slow, haha. Love the profile pic chris, I thought i was the only person who remembers star fleet, got the dvd for my birthday :laugh:

I had the celestron version of the synguider (exactly the same) but now use a qhy5l IIm & ST80 guodescope combo. It certainly worked well & 10 min sub's & longer are acheivable. You also don't need a laptop. The down side is that you need quite a bright star to guide off & I found focusing to be a real faff. The qhy cam is loads more sensitive & I have never not found a guide star in the fov right from the off. Perseverance I think is the key with the synguider, takes some work to get it going, but gets the results.

Sounds like you got a great present and a super girlfriend at that!!

I have gone down the finder guider and laptop route for my guiding. I always use 30 minute subs and the setup works very sell. I know of some people who have used a standalone guider such as the Syn-guider but most have ended up with a laptop and using PhD or something similar.

The book is an excellent read and should really give you a good heads up.

Archived