NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It's here!

A kid in a candy store is hardly the way to describe it! 

Putting it together was a breeze. There weren't any instructions but I found a nice instructional video on youtube (which I used) and there was a down loadable manual from the site I purchased from (didn't need it).

Took my time putting it together while watching a little t.v. and it only took about an hour overall. It is a little nose heavy as it wants to drop after getting around 50 degrees but there is a large room for adjusting the bushings which I will do tomorrow. Collimation was a bit off but only a small amount of tweaking was all it needed. I know that I will probably check it again the first time out and have it setup but I wanted to see what kind of damage happened in shipping as the OTA box was a bit roughed up.

post-32831-0-47515700-1388138543_thumb.j

post-32831-0-36327400-1388138560_thumb.j

post-32831-0-92738000-1388138593_thumb.j

Well it has already bit me once. Didn't get all the fingers out of the way when putting the tube in the mount and squished it pretty good. I'm sure my nail will go black!

Won't know when it will see first light but that doesn't mean I can't mess around with it inside. I really like the crayford focuser so far. It is so smooth and I'm sure the micro focuser will be wonderful to use for those views of the planets. 

The 8x50 finderscope is pretty nice too. Just need to figure out where I'm going to put the Telrad I received for Christmas.

Great looking telescope.I have a 10 inch dobsonian.You will relly enjoy the views it gives.

Buy the way,I have an 11 month old Whippet/Lab cross puppy that will take care of the box for you! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue::rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

First light is no light as of yet  :sad:

There has been plenty of clear sky, but with the bitter cold snap we've had recently and work schedule, not enough time to get out and give her a whirl. I know with the larger scope I will need a much longer cool down time and by the time I get home from work and get it setup, by the time it's cooled down the sun will be up! Sundays are pretty much my only days off so getting the weather to agree with me and the scope for one day a week is pretty slim.

However, warmer temps are on the horizon and hopefully this weekend I will have a chance to bring her out. (If the forecast holds up!)

Archived