Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Started work on the shed obsy

RobertC

I managed to dismantle the shed today after much frustration and graft to let me get to the groundwork below and behind. Started to dig out another 2ft of length so i can extend the shed for a small room compartment where i can stay warmer during sessions. The shed at the moment is awaiting new lumber so i can strengthen the different parts and extend the wall/roof segments. 

The plan is to have the shed 6ft x 8ft x 6ft with a rolling roof segment on rails. I will have a small 2 or 3ft wide room with a dim red light just enough for me to sit in and work the computer in reasonable light and space. The scope will sit on a 2.5ft concrete pier (8 inch diameter), just enough for the scope to get a good height on the horizon. The shed had power before it was taken down but i shall be re-routing the power under the floor and up the side of the pier and to the room so i don't fall over and wake the neighbours at 4am. I do plan to have the room insulated but leaving the rest of walls without any.

Took a few snaps along the way - v6rn85.jpg ff2xcp.jpg

I do plan to have my build progress as a sort of blog, this is my first observatory build but probably wont be the last so any help regarding design and how i should go about things is certainly welcome.

-Rob

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best of luck with the build Rob and look forward to seeing plenty of pics of your progress. :smile:

Thankyou, it's a case of making the best of what you have. May be small but i certainly will be able to get some work done in the space i have :)

-Rob

Rob,

Good luck. If you are putting in a concrete base be sure to put in a steel mesh.

Jack

I'm only doing the foundation work for the pier in concrete, the flooring will be still sat on wooden joists. I will have rebar in the concrete.

-Rob

If you plan on using your 200P in your obsy you will not really have enough room for a 2FT room. I have just finished my obsy and that was my idea to start with but I soon scrapped the idea when I realized there wasn`t enough room. You could squeeze one in but you would not have enough room to walk round. My sides are 6FT and my 200P is very close to the sides at times.

If you plan on using your 200P in your obsy you will not really have enough room for a 2FT room. I have just finished my obsy and that was my idea to start with but I soon scrapped the idea when I realized there wasn`t enough room. You could squeeze one in but you would not have enough room to walk round. My sides are 6FT and my 200P is very close to the sides at times.

My plans are to walk/crawl under my scope anyway, i get a 1.5ft space either side of my 200P when it is sat on its mount. 

I posted another post about planning, the room isn't included as it was merely just about the scope and pier height if you want to see my plans a little better.

-Rob

I've drawn another updated illustration, the space around the scope i'm not fussed about as i will be crawling underneath.

ae7a1j.png

-Rob

Might i suggest the door goes at the top so its hinged to the long wall and opens into the warm room against the long wall, this will allow the scope to move unhindered should the door be ajar, if you require to see the scope put a window in the partition wall...

I can't have the door in any other place than it is currently due to all around it there is a raised area, garden steps up 2ft thats why on the last image i am digging into the ground to extend the walls by 2ft. The door to my warm room i will have closer to the wall, just placed there for illustration purposes.

Don't forget to factor in the dew shield... :)

Well at the moment i don't own a dew shield, my diy ones i got rid off as they didn't work very well but either way the 1.5ft gap should be more than enough room once i take hold of one :) .

Don't suppose anyone knows where i can buy a form preferably cardboard for the pier as i don't fancy buying a plastic pipe that i can't remove ? 

-Rob

I used a plastic 8 inch brown waste pipe for my pier which was filled with concrete, I painted the outside of the pipe when fully installed and it looks great, you wouldn't know it was waste pipe, very stury in it's own right as ghe walls are fairly think,

there's some details of it in my build posts in the diy section undrr robs obsy build. You don't have to pay a fortune for a good sturdy pier.

also details of the build on my website below.

I used a plastic 8 inch brown waste pipe for my pier which was filled with concrete, I painted the outside of the pipe when fully installed and it looks great, you wouldn't know it was waste pipe, very stury in it's own right as ghe walls are fairly think,

there's some details of it in my build posts in the diy section undrr robs obsy build. You don't have to pay a fortune for a good sturdy pier.

also details of the build on my website below.

Just taken a look and that's quite nice, the altair adapter is quite a fair cost. I'm going to be using a brake disk, does the same job but for almost 1/10th of the price altair now sell the adapter for. Got the idea from this - http://www.philchris.co.uk/pier.htm#True North

Where did you get hold of the pipe you used ? I've searched all over and no one seems to do anything that size ? 

-Rob

I used the brake discs from a nissan micra. Drilled for the studs and concreted one into the pier with bent bolts (through the existing stud holes) then bolted the other one to that and it works perfectly :grin:. I put some pics in my build thread so you can see how it works.

Archived