SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Started work on the shed obsy

RobertC

depth is the most important factor, rather than the width

I also agree with this, my pier mount has around 1.5 tonnes of concrete around it, but I had to dig back more when the studs seemed wobbly.

See pictures of the work on the base here: -  http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/member/28193-fondofchips/

The threaded rod in the frame is 16mm x 1.2 metres long, there is approx 80mm of thread above the base now, so the concrete in the 600mm x 600mm deep part of the hole is 1.1 metres deep.

Hope this helps & good luck with your build.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've dug down earlier today roughly another 1ft with the center piece deeper than the corners for structural reasons. So the hole is now roughly 2.5ft deep probably 3ft in the center. 

My pier height is only 2.5ft x 10" diameter so is quite a bit lower than what i have seen out there.

-Rob

Well i've just ordered the brake disc that i will be using to mount the scope mount to the pier, £9.70 with p&p for the disc which isn't that bad at all ! On another note after what sounded like half of the Atlantic ocean falling over night on the house the hole i dug now looks like a small pond even though it was covered up.. Looks like my day will be spent draining it and putting a new cover over.

All i need to buy now is the rebar, cement and sand, more lumber and the rails for the roof to roll on.

Done a little structural work on the floor also, added new 2x2 beams along the old flooring beams. Just the walls and separate roof that's left now.

-Rob

Been out today and gathered the remaining few items apart from wood and cement. All of the piping i need to protect the wires and sockets etc have been purchased, finished work on the mounting that will be fitted onto the concrete pier.

Started work on the roof segment also, very nearly finished. All i need really to find now is the rebar and the form for the pier still.

-Rob 

The pier mount is coming along rather nicely, i've just finished tapping a thread onto a bar that will be used for the adjustment of the azimuth bolts. Just got to tap a 9mm hole into the disc for it to thread onto.

The aluminium block will sit in a hole so the disc will sit flush with the concrete.

riygxx.jpg

-Rob

Finally after many weeks of searching for a form to make my pier i eventually came across this website, i am going for a 10" pier due to i want a nice flush meet with the brake disc i am using as a mount for my scope mount.

Below the mount to fix the scope mount to the disc is a aluminium round slab that sits quite nicely into the disc.

2a8l2ky.jpg

On another note the roof segment is now finished, felted and ready to have the wheels fitted. I have changed the plan of using v groove track due to they want just over £100 for 2 rails and 4 wheels which is daylight robbery ! So i am now going to be using six 75mm wheels to run in a groove.

-Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Layed the new concrete floor and cast the pier today. Going to leave it till next weekend and then take the cardboard tube off and then lay the floor and walls and then fit the rolling roof that is currently sat up the garden ready to be lifted.

hwfitw.png

-Rob

You're obviously having much better weather there than I am down here. Either that, or you've covered it all with a tent.

Nice job anyway.

It's been sat under tar-poling for the past week. Today has even seen sunlight instead of the murky grey clouds, slowly nearing the end to the build that will almost certainly not see the end of tinkering and modifications. Thankyou :)

Hi Rob, You are just ahead of me. I am still in the planning/measuring stage for a build when the weather improves. I notice that you say that you are going to use a break disk as per the True North build; also earlier in that thread he gives the name of a company who supply piling tubes, 2250mm dia if I remember correctly, 1200mm length for approx £30. Just a thought if you are still researching tubes. 

Will follow you build with interest

Mike

Hi Rob, You are just ahead of me. I am still in the planning/measuring stage for a build when the weather improves. I notice that you say that you are going to use a break disk as per the True North build; also earlier in that thread he gives the name of a company who supply piling tubes, 2250mm dia if I remember correctly, 1200mm length for approx £30. Just a thought if you are still researching tubes. 

Will follow you build with interest

Mike

Hi Mike, the disc a the mo hasn't got the stump that allows you to polar align as i'm going to find the true north and drill the hole. I spent quite a damn while finding a tube and settled for this one http://www.defendapack.com/Postal_Tubes_Cardboard_Poster_mailing_tubes_A1_A2_A3_A4_A5_A0_Postal_Tubes/10_inch_diameter_254mm_postal_tubes/1_meter_long_1000mm_cardboard_postal_tubes/1_meter_long_10_inch_diameter_cardboard_poster_tubes . There is different sizes but this is the one you will want if you wish to have a flush finish with the brake disc. I payed only £20.5 for this with postage also. Been out to check on the setting, floor is setting nicely and draining the water off the tarp covering it.

-Rob

Removed the cardboard form today and pleased to say it has worked wonders, the indent for the plug socket is flush and the tube routing inside the pier is perfect.

Just have to plead with the next door to remove the fence panel whilst i get a rough bearing for the polar alignment (one of the drawbacks of being only allowed to build the observatory where it is). Once i do have it roughly polar aligned i can hopefully drift align to my best ability.

97ljkm.jpg 

-Rob

Just use one of the software packages - Astrotortilla has a polar alignment tool that will get you sorted quicker and more accurately than removing the fence panel.

Yes, that's what I use :)

Just use one of the software packages - Astrotortilla has a polar alignment tool that will get you sorted quicker and more accurately than removing the fence panel.

I shall take a look now, i know my mount is roughly pointing towards the NCP just i'm not sure if it will breach the top of the fence so i hope this software can help me a great deal :) Thankyou !

coming on, 

one thing about properly polar aligning it on a pier is that once done you`ll never need to do it again.

Yeah, the a bit of a pain having to polar align everytime you want to setup without a permanent base. Hoping to have the rest of the structure put together by the weekend and the first light in the next week some time.

-Rob

Hmm just received this error on startup, any idea's ? wje4o4.png

Archived