SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does anybody use this red torch?

emadmoussa

I've seen this on Amazon and it seems of a good quality.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flashlight-Astronomy-Stargazing-protecting-Dark-Adapted/dp/B00D3FXLVO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386508379&sr=8-3&keywords=astronomy+torch

I'm after a good quality torch as I have been suffering from my cheap one which finally  kicked the bucket.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I was reading some reviews here on there on similar torches and I'm under the impression they'll be too bright for what I need. Even with my little old torch I usually covered it with my fist to dim it a bit. I might just go ahead and mod one of the small LED flashlights I have around the house and can't remember where exactly. Worth a shot!

I tend to use a single red LED setting head torch, a petzl elite, which has a nice swivel head attachment. Compact, it does not get in the way when I am at the eyepiece. If I require additional light, I also use a Skywatcher torch, in which you can regulate the amount of light.

My complaint about a head torch is they are fine for the person wearing them to see things, then they talk to you and shine a bright red light directly at you from close range and because it is red as far as most are concerned that's OK.

Seems to be considered perfectly acceptable to blind you with a red light for some reason.

It seems to have become accepted that red light does nothing to your night vision, whereas red light simply does less damage to it then other wave lengths may do, but damage it it does.

Although not an LED, a red torch I like the Mini Mag Lite. I have modified it by installing red disc / discs cut out of a plastic notebook binder; this works very well.

I also like using a military torch, which comes with blue, green, & red filters which are easily interchangeable. There is a minature Chinese knockoff model which uses two AA batteries.

The red / white light combination torches should be chucked in the rubbish. Dedicated red and white light torches "should" be used, and of different sizes or shapes so that a mistake in the dark is not possible; a couple of decent torches are not expensive. Just my two cents worth, Its irritating to lose dark adaption by someone else fiddling with a do it all light.

Edit: photos.

post-21902-0-97765000-1386541448_thumb.j

post-21902-0-59197800-1386541470_thumb.j

I have a couple of gerber Recon torches Clicky

I find them very useful, they dont throw out a lot of light, so there isnt a risk of affecting others or any cameras you might be using.

Also have a couple of those L-shape military torches with the filters

and assorted maglites of the single-AAA & double-AA variety

But the Recons get the most use

Even the modified paraffin lantern doesnt get much use except when it is bitterly cold (i've painted the glass with a heat resistant red paint on the outside of the glass ;)  so its much like the old railroad lanterns)

......................................Even the modified paraffin lantern doesnt get much use except when it is bitterly cold (i've painted the glass with a heat resistant red paint on the outside of the glass ;)  so its much like the old railroad lanterns)

That's interesting !

I have several Miners lamps, and have been looking to obtain a red globe for one or more of them.

Could you share what source you used for the heat proof paint, and the name of it ?

Thanks.

Even the modified paraffin lantern doesnt get much use except when it is bitterly cold (i've painted the glass with a heat resistant red paint on the outside of the glass ;)  so its much like the old railroad lanterns)

I like this idea a lamp and handwarmer in one

I just used some hammerite smooth paint, and put a thinish layer on the outside of the glass.

Its relatively heat-resistant (not heatproof) as the kind of heat such a lantern can put out in a cold environment isnt enough to affect the paint as long as you let it dry properly.  I've touched it up in a couple of places with just red nail varnish and nothing bad seems to have happened.

You do get a lil white/yellow light out of the top where the vents are, but its such a small amount I'm not worried about it at home, but i wouldnt advise using it at a star party for that reason

I've 4 head torches. 2 from the £1 shoppe and 2 for £4.99 from a local shoppe. By spending a further £ 1 on red electrical tape I am in head torch heaven.

The dull ones with batteries going are for galaxies and the brighter ones are for checking where the scope is and searching for my glasses, hurrah !

I nearly fell out of the crowe's nest at the thought of the price of an Amazonia torch !

Old Nick.

I just used some hammerite smooth paint, and put a thinish layer on the outside of the glass.

Its relatively heat-resistant (not heatproof) as the kind of heat such a lantern can put out in a cold environment isnt enough to affect the paint as long as you let it dry properly.  I've touched it up in a couple of places with just red nail varnish and nothing bad seems to have happened.

You do get a lil white/yellow light out of the top where the vents are, but its such a small amount I'm not worried about it at home, but i wouldnt advise using it at a star party for that reason

Thanks.   :smiley:

Archived