Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does anybody use this red torch?

emadmoussa

I'm surprised people are so amazed at me doing that, surely someone else has tried similar ?

Storm lanterns arent expensive anymore, so you dont have to damage good examples or ones you'd rather keep for power cuts etc and its always handy to have one about, not just for the light but for the warmth too

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a torch fetish, and I have rather too many (according to the wife :-) So if you want to keep your "night eyes" then stay away from anything with a Cree LED in it...they are very powerful bulbs, and even the red ones will kill your night sight. Just grab hold of a cheap and cheerful one, as long as you can see what you're doing, that's all that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ordered a red head-torch off Amazon for £4.99 (not including P&P though which was about £3.66 if I remember rightly), I thought "why not" as the reviews from other stargazers etc were all good if not great. I know you get what you pay for but I didn't want to spend £15-20+ on a torch when I could get one with equally positive reviews. It comes with batteries and apparently you don't have to switch through the white light to get the red light, it's either one way or the other so it preserves and doesn't disrupt NV. The reviewers also say it's bright enough to read starcharts without disrupting their NV. 

If I can find the link again I will post it in this thread, in case anyone's interested. 

I have a torch fetish, and I have rather too many (according to the wife :-) So if you want to keep your "night eyes" then stay away from anything with a Cree LED in it...they are very powerful bulbs, and even the red ones will kill your night sight. Just grab hold of a cheap and cheerful one, as long as you can see what you're doing, that's all that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those Cree's are good for producing light, but as you say for preserving night vision they sort of fail big time, even if red. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Archived