Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M33 - A tribute to DSLR noise!

PhotoGav

Here is a reprocess of my M33 data following hints, tips and advice from Lensman57, Russe, Nathan_Pembs, davew & jgs001. Thank you folks, you help to make SGL the most fantastic resource.

post-29321-0-46097400-1386111901_thumb.p

13 x 600s subs, 15 x 600s darks, flats & bias.

That seems to be as good as I can do with it. I think it's pretty noisy. I will blame my tools for that...!

Tut, tut, bad workman... mumble, mumble....

Thanks for looking.

I blame my equipment...why not?  I mean, I certainly can't capture images like that without some method of tracking.  :)

But really, the shot looks great.  I would be more than happy to capture something like that.

Great improvement!!! - what I'd do for the background is in general: one layer with stars only, 1 layer galaxy with a hide all mask only revealing the galaxy and since therefore the background is hidden, I leave one of the previous curves stretches underneath it, where the background still looked smooth. Hope that makes sense...

Thank you folks for your encouragement. It makes the prospect of a clear night tonight even more enticing. The question is: which of the targets on my list do I aim for? I'm thinking perhaps something nebulous... maybe in Cassiopeia...

Russe - that sounds very clever! I understand what you are suggesting, but I'm not convinced I have the techniques to do it! Please could you Dropbox a Photoshop file with the layers you describe in so that I can see what you mean more clearly?

Russe - as and when, really no rush and only if you get the chance.

Thanks Lensman57, wxsatuser, Richard, Kirkster501 & John.

Yes, more subs... That's a challenge. I've been reading Lensman's thread 'Getting the mount back to a previous imaging coordinates' and hope to suss this out soon so that imaging sessions can extend beyond the few hours a target is visible on one side of the meridian. That's the other challenge - the meridian flip... So much to learn!

Russe - as and when, really no rush and only if you get the chance.

Thanks Lensman57, wxsatuser, Richard, Kirkster501 & John.

Yes, more subs... That's a challenge. I've been reading Lensman's thread 'Getting the mount back to a previous imaging coordinates' and hope to suss this out soon so that imaging sessions can extend beyond the few hours a target is visible on one side of the meridian. That's the other challenge - the meridian flip... So much to learn!

please check your inbox for a link to my dropbox

cave: >700mb file!!

Archived