NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Surrey

Catkins

Hi, I'm Catkins.

When I was little I had a big interest in space & stargazing, unfortunately I've forgotten everything I used to know. My eldest daughter - age 6 - has always been interested in space & a friend bought her a telescope for Christmas...prior to this she was limited to watching out for planets, meteors & trying to identify constellations.

Sadly we live in heavily light polluted area so it's not that easy to see what's out there, but we're trying!!

Hello Catkins and daughter. Welcome to SGL, and may I say how pleased I am to hear that your 8 year old

has an interest in astronomy. I hope you encourage to keep it going, because there is so much can be learned from this pursuit.

Lots of sciences are involved in Astronomy, and any help you or your daughter would like, is available on SGL, you only have to ask.

Ron. :D

Hi Catkins and Daughter and Welcome to SGL.

Hopefully with help from members here and after doing a lot of reading you will get back into astronomy fairly quickly.

Some things that may help you both out :

Download Stellarium from www.stellarium.org . Its free. This will give you a good idea of what you can see at what time from your location. I definately would be lost without it.

A copy of `Turn left at Orion` will be a big help as well.

There is so much to learn but the more you learn you soon come to realise that the hobby of astronomy is literally out of this world.

Enjoy anyway.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Archived