NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter & Europa 01.12.13 V Good Seeing

theo

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will think about the cover idea. Its not something I have really thought about to be honest. Which is odd.

Dew is a problem as a first thought though. Its surprising how well it gets in, even what appears to be a sealed tube. Even having the mount permanently setup would help a bit. I do worry about the elements getting in to the mount though over long periods outside. But with good covers I am uncertain what effects it could have. As bringing the mount in obviously dries it out periodically. I am not sure about wear and tear like that ?

Worth thinking about Neil. Dew could be an issue as you say and but preventable I would think with the right type of cover maybe. You could go to the length of having a small well fitting cover for the mount head over which you have the main secondary cover?? Food for thought.

Pete

Hi Peter,

As per others posts, that is an exceptional capture, well done. Unless i missed it, you used a mono camera, how many frames did you take for RGB? Could i also enquire what LRGB filters and filter wheel you use. The reason i ask is I would look towards getting some so that I can do colour planetary shots using my DMK31. Did you find that you need to adjust focus between RGB captures?

Ian

Hi Peter,

As per others posts, that is an exceptional capture, well done. Unless i missed it, you used a mono camera, how many frames did you take for RGB? Could i also enquire what LRGB filters and filter wheel you use. The reason i ask is I would look towards getting some so that I can do colour planetary shots using my DMK31. Did you find that you need to adjust focus between RGB captures?

Ian

Hi Ian. 

Well this is 2 minutes per channel with red & green at 110fps and blue at 60fps so the number of frames can be calculated from this. I use the Astronomik Type II c filters and a Starlight Express motorised filter wheel. For focusing the reg and green channels are very close to parfocal so no focus change between these. The blue does require a bit of inward focus to get it nice and sharp.

Pete

I'd have serious reservations about the effects of damp unless the cover is airtight its going to get in there surely?

A pier mounted machine gun should fix the security issue. :evil:

You could well be right Stuart.  I know DP does this , or at least he used to in order to be sure of thermal stability. If I remember rightly this is covered in his DVD which I picked up at the Southwest astronomy fair a couple of years back. The machine gun on a pier would certainly do the trick for security though!!

Tremendous image Pete!

Many thanks Richard.

Absolutely stunning. Great detail and colours.

Well done

Peter

Cheers Pete. Much appreciated.

A gorgeous image :)

James

Many thanks James!!

Utterly superb image again Pete. A pleasure to view. Glad you are getting beautiful images - as I type this clouds have moved in and a gale is beginning to blow.......wild night in prospect.... :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Ralph

Utterly superb image again Pete. A pleasure to view. Glad you are getting beautiful images - as I type this clouds have moved in and a gale is beginning to blow.......wild night in prospect.... :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Ralph

Many thanks for the kind words Ralph!!

Very very detailed capture Pete & probably the best here so far, beautiful clear night tonight but ive not got my planet scope rigged up, ah well ive got weeks yet.

Cheers Ewan. Yes a good few weeks yet. Lets hope for plenty of clear nights and more good seeing!!

Archived