Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Weather!!! App / Website Suggestions?

Paul73

Hi All

Yet another hopeful night ruined by surprise cloud!!!! Although, at least it didn't rain on my scope as it cooled (last Wednesday)....

I have been scanning the web / iTunes for something that gives a moderately good forecast for cloud cover. There appear to be several thousand options all per proclaiming to be my eye to the future.

Metcheck/hobbies/astronomy seems to be the best so far.

Any thoughts?

Paul

I generally use Sat24.com, which gives you a good idea of where the cloud is and which direction it is moving. I've yet to find any other forecasts which are reliable, although many people use 7timer which is handy.

Failing that, look out of the window :p

Cheers,

Stu

Paul73.............Hi, as you sugest, there are loads of apps out there. I've been using the Android App, UK Weather Forecast. That has surprised me with its accuracy? I looked outside last Friday and it was fully overcast. about 10-15 mins later, it said clear skies (Bull I thought!) but had to check, and sure enough, clear skies. So it updates well (was using WiFi). EDIT: *Update* £2.50 gives full access & Ad Free.

I have 2 andriod apps on the go at the minute on my phone. One is the BBC weather app which shows cloud cover as well which I have found pretty accurate and another Astro Panel which I have found a bit hit and miss.

I hear what your saying with the cloud though. Being new just happy to get out there and 'wing' it, see what I could find. Since I downloaded Stellarium and planned properly what I was looking for I haven't had a good night yet, just 10 minutes here and there, very frustrating.

Just don't expect it to tell you if you'll be able to see any stars. I use the met office satellite images, but they can appear to show clear sky when actually there's ground mist. I've had many nights with clear skies forecast but it turned out cloudy - and some with a poor forecast when it turned into a great night. In the end it's a case of looking out the window, putting out the scope and hoping for the best.

Oh my God, this is depressing... Great recommendations for weather / cloud cover info sources, but they all show cloud, cloud and thicker cloud for the coming days. I too have set up 3 times recently, inspired by BBC/MetOffice clear skies forecasts, only to be scuppered by cloud rolling in when just at the point of starting to image...

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with them all.

What would be great is a simple review of each one to say how accurately they actually mange to predict the weather! Perhaps highlighting your favourite app, the one that you come to rely on.

Ok. Will do. I'll use them for a couple of weeks and then put something together.

Any more for the list??

Paul

• 1 month later...

Ok. Will do. I'll use them for a couple of weeks and then put something together.

Any more for the list??

Paul

Seasons Greetings Paul,

Just wondering if you have any reports to issue on your findings...? No doubt you have seen rather too many cloud and rain icons over the last few weeks!!!

Cheers,

Gav.

Seasons Greetings Paul,

Just wondering if you have any reports to issue on your findings...? No doubt you have seen rather too many cloud and rain icons over the last few weeks!!!

Cheers,

Gav.

Gav

And a slightly premature new year!

Yes. Red clouds everywhere. Work etc has rather taken the focus away from this one. I have quite a list to look at. 7timer has been down for the last 3 days. Hopefully temporary as several good apps run off it.

I'll get onto it properly and post something in 2 weeks rather than my subjective thoughts.

Sky Harbringer and Meteoblue are working quite well in tandem at the moment.

Thanks for the reminder.

Paul

No worries Paul. It's only if you get the chance, I know what a damn bind work can be!!!

I use a combination of bbc weather and metcheck, which are fairly reliable. Interesting about your two choices, I hadn't even heard of them - will check them out.

Take care.

Archived