Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

USB temperature and humidity sensor

MikeWilson

Good afternoon,

I know a few members are using USB temperature and humidity sensors to track the temperature and humidity (of course!) in their observatories. Which make/model do you recommend - are they reliable and where can one purchase them from?

Is it possible to run more than one from the same machine?

Thanks in advance :-)

Mike

I picked up the TemperHum usb stick off ebay (via Hong Kong) for £14. Very nicely made, although it does need first time calibrating against a reliable temp/humidity source.  Fortunately I live close to a weather station, so I call up there web page and do the offsets.

The Temperhum includes a PC app for logging and also works with BYE, so you can tag your image filenames with weather data, good for building libararies of darks etc. Highly recommended.

I use the one-wire system with a USB interface. I got mine from here;

http://www.sheepwalkelectronics.co.uk/

Though there are other suppliers. I see he is now doing other modules beyond temp/humidity.

I've been really impressed with the one-wire stuff -- I don't think I've had a single failure/glitch in 3 years of continuous operation...

I use the one-wire system with a USB interface. I got mine from here;

http://www.sheepwalkelectronics.co.uk/

Though there are other suppliers. I see he is now doing other modules beyond temp/humidity.

I've been really impressed with the one-wire stuff -- I don't think I've had a single failure/glitch in 3 years of continuous operation...

I've bought several/many parts fron Sheepwalk Electronics - a great little firm :)  1-wire is great too - used it for my DIY weather station :)

+1 for the Lascar ELUSB-2, we have four of these at work which I brought 4+ years ago.   We use them a lot for environmental monitoring and they just keep working.

The only major drawback is the supplied software does not give much graphing flexibility - however it will export to CSV or Excel.     If anyone can recommend a good graphing util other than Excel I'd be interested (for customer reporting).    Ideally I would like to plot the data as multiple lines over a Mon-Sun x axis, which has eluded me in excel.

Thanks everyone,

So it's either;

* 1 Wire - cheaper but more complex

* TEMPerHUM USB dongle - £14, needs calibrating. Works with existing software, perhaps easier to operate than Lascar.

* Lascar - more expensive but reliable, and standalone (presumably if can monitor a remote location on battery power for several days and have the data analysed later..). Lacks existing software integration options

* Netatmo - most expensive, but reliable and lots of integration options

I've coveted the Netatmo, but I don't think I can justify it. I suspect that there's a Lascar in my future perhaps after the observatory has been built, but for the time being I might just pick up a cheap TEMPerHUM stick from eBay to "prove" the idea indoors, to check for any possible household damp/condensation issues and to play around with the data.

Thanks everyone for the heads up.

One-wire is cheap to extend once you've got it set up, but you do need a USB dongle at ~£25 to start.

Only thing to be a bit aware of is that the temperature/humidity at the back of your PC probably isn't representative of the rest of the dome, due to the heating by the PC itself.  Close enough to get a rough idea of what's going on though.

1-wire will connect to a PC with  an adapter as has been said - I got mine from Sheepwalk Electronics OR connect directly to an Arduino for independent control and display.  The Arduino has a library specific to 1-wire that covers all the features and functions.   This is what I used for my independently controlled Peltier TEC cooled DSLRs.  Of course, the Arduino can also be controlled from a computer.  I also use 1-wire and Arduino for my DIY weather station.  I like 1-wire for it's infinite extendability and simplicity plus the fact that devices can be several hundred metres from the base station with just a twisted pair cable.  (1-wire means one DATA wire - it DOES need a return/earth/ground wire.  Though whether the return could be via an earth rod into the soil, I don't know - must try it sometime :D)

Archived