Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'service'.
Found 6 results
I wanted to have the sensor cleaned on my canon 500D , a quick email to skears photographic in Northampton http://www.skearsphoto.com/ was swiftly replied with the cost £30 , I dropped it off and waited a week due to COVID-19 and camera being quarantined for three days first , picked up with a service report highlighting a mark on sensor, on pictures there was a black speck I thought was dirt , camera pictures nice and clean otherwise, would recommend.
Recently I opened my AZ-EQ5 mount for adjusting and greasing. I did not find any complete tutorial for this nor worm or bearings dimensions. I plan to replace some of those if I have the chance. Meanwhile, I will add some pics of the disassembly process. Open the plastic top case. Please excuse the USB hub attached, I did not remove that. Pull out the cable connectors. Put the top case with the controller board aside. The bolt inside the green circle can help you remembering or adjusting the belt tension. Loosen down the RA motor screws. Remove the belt. Unscrew the bolts. Remove the motor. The bolts inside the green circles can help you remember and adjust the worm distance to the RA main gear. Remove the bolts holding the worm case. Parts: RA main gear, worm case. Remove the screws holding the encoder board. You get access to the nut holding the worm in place. Remove this too. Remove the bolts inside the driving gear attached to the worm. Sorry, not the best pic. You can now proceed to push out the worm and the bearings. No pics for this, sorry. The bearings are 688Z, 16mm outer diameter, 8mm inner diameter, 5mm width. Worm dimensions measured with the caliper: 69mm, 36mm. Hope someone finds this useful. I'd be interested if the worm is identical to the ones used in the HEQ5. Clear skies! Alex
After trying and failing some time ago to find a video tutorial on how to strip-down my Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro mount, clean all the bearings and gears, re-grease them, and put it all back together again, I eventually learned how to do this from various other online resources and have now created my own video tutorial. For those of you with a Skywatcher HEQ5 or HEQ5 Pro mount, or indeed an Orion Sirius EQ-G mount (which is the same mechanically), this video can help you to keep you mount running smoothly through regular DIY servicing (~every 2 years). I hope you find it useful. Here is the link...
Hey Guys, I have been a fan of the band called 'Public Service Broadcasting' for a long time now, since their first album in fact and just wondered if would be a band some of you may enjoy. They do not use live microphone vocals but instead use a variety of older audio and video clips from history to create beautiful songs with a real feel of nostalgia. They mainly focus on big events in history such as the war, invention of colour TV's, stereo sound and cars. I saw them live at the Norwich OPEN last year and they were definitely one of the best bands I've ever seen, personally. Their stage was supported by the Sputnik satellite which flew above the band members during the performance. I hope you can take a small amount of your time to just check their music out a second, if you haven't already before. Their most recent album, 'The Race For Space' may be something of interest as they create music inspired by the space race back from the 60's. Definitely up my alley, so maybe it will be up yours too! Here are a few of their songs that I personally find incredible:
Just spent 4 hours resurrecting my AVX mount, it had become so stuff in RA it just wouldn't track at all. Googled as much as I could find and used the http://rocketsparrow.blogspot.com/2017/01/how-i-made-better-celestron-avx.html?m=1 as a guide. Decided to use a bearing as discussed in thread. I chose the https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p503131/32007-Premier-Budget-Metric-Single-Row-Taper-Roller-Bearing-35x62x18mm/product_info.html?backstep=1 as the dimensions were perfect ( almost perfect, bearing is 2mm too thick but works fine) Cleaned all the gungy grease off and used thin layers of superlube. It's so much smoother now and I can actually balance the mount. Only problems I had were the 2 bolts that hold the RA and Dec assembly together stripped the mount ! Soft cast ally by the looks of it but there are 4 holes for 2 bolts (almost like Skywatcher knew ) and refitting the motor worm assembly is tedious to get backlash adjusted . Can't wait to try it out. Ps the new bearing wouldn't quite fit til I put the mount in the oven @ 80 degrees and the bearing in the freezer for 5 minutes.
Just a quick comment on the service I've received from Steve Collingwood at SCTelescopes. I had a 14" Meade LX200 which had developed a very serious intermittent fault with its electronics. By arrangement, I took the scope to Steve today for him to look at as he is a trained Meade service engineer with many years experience behind him. He offered to work on the scope while I waited since I had a 260 mile round trip and it would potentially save me a second journey to collect the scope. In addition I would provide a second pair of hands as the 14" is a good weight to manhandle. That suited me fine so work began. The electronic faults were investigated and fixed. The scope was then thoroughly cleaned and serviced to a good standard. Normally Steve would accurately collimate the scope before it left the workshop but, as it was going to be bounced around in the back of a car for several hours, we agreed it probably wasn't worth as it would be better done once remounted in the dome. Even so, Steve had a quick check for any obvious misalignment before letting the unit leave. Steve was a very pleasant and knowledgeable chap with a good, traditional approach to and appreciation of quality engineering. The final price was reasonable, the work quality good and, most importantly, the tea was nice! All-in-all a good experience. AndyG