Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cooled camera fails to report its temperature

Star101

I noticed my ZWO ASI183MM Pro camera fails to report its temperature. It says 0.0C no matter what!

I have tried reinstalling the ASCOM and camera drivers but no difference.

image.png.6c7906d9adcfa9d25a49dfe51c7a25c9.png

I connect my other ASI cooled camera and that shows the temperature and the temperature changes when cooling.

The camera has worked perfectly until last night when this occurred. Although I am still using the camera and the subs look OK considering the seeing is murky.

Is there something I am missing?

Have you tried with the native (ASI) driver and another program (e.g. Sharpcap) to see if there's any difference ? 

On a second thought, have you checked the cooler power connector\supply ?  even inside the camera, as the socket may have been accidently damaged ??

4 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Have you tried with the native (ASI) driver and another program (e.g. Sharpcap) to see if there's any difference ? 

On a second thought, have you checked the cooler power connector\supply ?  even inside the camera, as the socket may have been accidently damaged ??

The connector looks good.

This is a permanent setup in my shedservatory. Not much gets moved around. 

I have had this( or similar ) issue like this before but with my Atik 4120ex. I sent that away for repair. And although Atik said it worked OK for them, they still replaced the main board inside.

I will try another computer, just in case the PC recognises the difference between the two ASI cameras and treats them differently.

Other than that, I am at an end. Fortunately, its new since August 18 and still under warranty.

On 09/02/2019 at 15:19, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Do you have a voltmeter to actually check what is being fed into the camera ??

I have not checked the voltage. I have tried two power supplies though. Also, the other ASI camera shows the temperature!

As the problem persists across different software packages and those packages report the temp correctly on the other camera and the problem persists across different power supplies, definitely sounds like a camera hardware problem to me.

I would contact whoever supplied the camera as it is still under warranty to see whether they can suggest anything else before returning it for repair. Hopefully they will give you good after-sales support ...

7 hours ago, Star101 said:

I have not checked the voltage. I have tried two power supplies though. Also, the other ASI camera shows the temperature!

That's why I suspect your issue is inside the camera, maybe with the power connector, or with the tec etc.

25 minutes ago, carastro said:

Presume it is no longer under guarantee?

Hi Carole, it's only 8 months old so is still under warranty. I just want to be sure before going back to the shop. 

I will talk with the shop today.

• 3 weeks later...

Great news!!

The shop replaced my camera today with a brand new one. :) Result !

Tonight will be clear too....Cant wait to get back to imaging with this camera again.

I have been imaging with my Atik 4120ex OSC. Which is a fantastic camera. But without taking filterwheel apart and for only one week, I ended up using the OSC camera with no (LP) filters. In processing, I noticed the difference a filter makes.

Anyway, time to go setup.

Hope everyone else is having clear skies too.

Dave.

On 28/02/2019 at 06:30, Demonperformer said:

Good after-sales service. Trust you plugged it in before setting up to make sure this one was all working ...

Yes, first thing before anything else. Needed to be sure it was OK!

And it was ?

Archived