NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter Nov 4th Good seeing!

Space Cowboy

Finally some good data to work with. I'm not happy with these as I feel they are slightly over cooked which is easy to do with good data and my usual wavelet settings from the DFK seem too much for the QHY.

1st image is a single colour cam shot taken 6.27UT :

gallery_4016_230_10283.png

2nd image is a RGB made from 2 colour shots and one mono red (removed the colour cam red channel and replaced with mono red) 6.20UT :

Unfortunately winjupos messed up the transit shadow of Io.

gallery_4016_230_234087.png

3rd image is LRGB using red mono as L and R :

gallery_4016_230_87201.png

Auto Dob 250 & 3x TV with 1.5x Drizzle.

Any comments are welcome.

Very nice Stuart. Last of the good seeing for a while from what I can see from the predictions.

I have exactly the same problems with the moons in WinJupos and can very rarely get the RGB lined up correctly even if the planet is and even when the moon is correctly positioned on the "adj" tab.

Good work Stuart. Glad youv'e bagged some decent data to work with. Third image for me also, has some nice detail there. Well worth trying different wavelet settings as well to improve things even further. For the moon artifact, have you tried gentle use of the spot healing tool in PS? It may be able to remove this.

Regards,

Pete.

Third Image is sharpest for sure Stuart. The lum cutting through better.  Nice one on getting better seeing. A much better result now. Bet your pleased to be breaking your recent curse.

I think the moon and planet has to be done separately. I couldn't figure how to do it. I reckon layer masks might be a option. But that's something ive not tried. I cured it by using Imerge, I processed the moon section separately and merged on with imerge. Very weird I know but it kind of worked. I reckon there's better ways though, Likely layer masks.

Nice Stuart!....."Layer Masks" would certainly be a "work-around" for the moons/shadows in WinJupos compilations.

I'm ignorant of any WinJupos process atm to preserve the moons & shadows correctly when compiling numerous images together :confused: .....but I posted a comprehensive "Layers Mask" tutorial on CN sometime back which could be used for anyone in this situation using a variation of the steps therein - as long as they have P/shop. 

Thanks for all your input guys!

Unfortunately I don't have PS so I may try Neil's method which I have used before when enhancing moons.

How did you do that repro Simon?

Dead right Pete I need to try some new wavelets as I feel the detail is too coarse on these. Basically I'm producing double the amount of frames with the QHY cams (these were all using 90-100fps) but at only 50% gain so controlling noise is not the same issue as it was with the DFK.

As you say Neil its good to get some quality data to work with and experiment.

Neil and Darryl are right...best way is layer masking. This will maitain the detail around the moon shadow You can use the images you already have to do this. There are also some good tutorials on Youtube for this. Ones by Doug German are worth a look. These are mainly for deep sky work but the principle is the same.

Pete

Sorry Stuart...just posted right after your reply so didn't realise you didn't have PS.

I think there is also a free program called GIMP that uses similar layer masking techniques to PS. Maybe worth a look.

Pete.

Hi Stuart I removed the artefact using an erasing tool which you can adjust to variable levels of intensity & size etc, its really designed more for deleting scratches & small anomalys but did a fair job on your image,the software is helicon not a freebie im afraid but cheaper than ps, but I think the guys are right maybe layers are the way forward but ave tried and carnt get my brain cells around the processing lol!

Archived