Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello All

Coops

Hello Everyone,

I'm Pete I live just outside Bracknell,right next to Bracknell forest which is nice as we don't have too much LP,I've spent most of my life and money pursuing a career in the music industry. I hate to think how much money on various studio set ups,saxophones,guitars etc.

But like all of you guys I have spent a lot of time looking up at the night sky.

So this Christmas I asked Santa for a Scope ,unfortunately I got a vacuum cleaner cunningly disguised as one :lol:(well it might as well have been one ,a vacuum that is)

I'm now own a Konusmotor 130,that alone is not a problem (but granted from what I have since read its a big one all by its self)here's the list of problems please excuse the poor explanation newbie and all that.

1,The right ascension clutch does not tighten up which results in the scope constantly falling over on its side.

2,One of the bolts that adjusts the angle from 45degree's to 90 degree's I.E from the horizon to its Zenith is missing.

3, All the tripod nuts for what I assume is a brace (A triangular piece of plastic) are missing.

4, The red dot star finder will not calibrate to the scope,but I guess that's a knock on from the problem Number 1,as I can't really tighten the whole scope up so it keeps moving.

So my plan is to exchange it for a similar priced one about 200 pound,

The stock this shop carries is limited and a lot of items are discontinued

So i have but two viable choices that I can see

A Meade DS 2070AT

OR

Sky Watcher Explorer 130P

So guys please help me out on this one before I mess up yet again

Of course the sky tonight will be lit up like a Christmas tree :rolleyes: while I'm packing my vacuum away

Best Regards Pete

Hi. Pete, and welcome to SGL.

The trials and tribulations of that first telescope. I think most can Identify with your experience in that area.

If this unit came with these problems, why did you not take it back from whence it came, quoting the "Sale of Goods Act." That usually suffices to frighten a retailer into offering an alternative worth twice the original. "Yeah, right", I hear you say.

But seriously, if it had these problems from the off, then they should sort it for you.

You have one asset though, those free from LP skies. That is a bonus, so when you get the scope sorted whichever way. let us know what you experience via the forum here. Also, if you need any help with anything, just post your questions on here and we will be glad to help you.

Ron. :rolleyes:

Hi Ron

Thanks for the welcome.

I'll let the wife deal with the shop she's much better at that stuff than me,I would suffer in silence.

To the east of my garden I have steet lighting to the west nothing but miles of forest...17miles north is Heathrow and south more forest.

When I was younger i was in the army i did some exercises in Canada on the prarie.no light for 100 mile radius, northen lights put on a few

shows for us,the whole sky was amazing.

Still not sure which scope to go for.The mead sounds ok from the point of view once set up i can let it find DSO etc for me

but I guess I might get better views with the Sky Watcher.

so many pro and cons

Pete

The Goto (Newtonian) scopes are a boon for quick location of objects, and for image acquisition in astrophotography.

The SCT model of scope is also goto in many types, and are also very managable in both visual and photographic use.

As you say, there are many facets to choosing and using telescopes, and therefore you need to do a bit of homework before making a shortlist.

If you do make a list of possibles for yourself, and you need further help to make a choice, I am sure the members here will only be too pleased to guide you towards a final choice. But, that is entirely up to you.

Good Luck.

Ron. :rolleyes:

Hi Pete welcome to SGL

sorry to read your woes with your vac I mean scope :whip2:

I am sure which ever one you opt for in the end it will truly amaze you what you will see with having such a good area to scan I myself as far as scopes go tend to think that you cannot beat SCTs my own Celestron C11 never fails to amaze me although maybe thats not fair as it is quite an expensive thing but lats just say I believe aperture is the king the bigger the better my next upgrade will be to go get the C14 with far more light getting power than my presant one

to sum up its worth you getting some research done to see what suits your wants bearing in mind that these wants will change as you get more into it much like music really

Anyway mate happy new year to you :rolleyes:

Hi Pete

I think that Meade model is a small refractor, which would give you reasonable widefield views but would not take much magnifcation (or, more importantly, gather much light). The Skywatcher is a 5 inch reflector which would enable you to see some DSO's (Galaxies, nebulae, etc.). I remember reading that one of these Skywatcher 130 models is not so hot, but for the life of me, I can't remember which one it was (something to do with the quality of the glass in the primary mirror). Can anyone else advise? My preference would be to get a refund and get a 6 inch dobsonian, like this one here http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dobsky150 and that would live you a bit of spare case for an additional eyepiece or two.

HTH Martin

Hello Gents,

Thanks for all the feed back.

Martin I think you got it in one will try for a refund and go for a DOB. Uk-Telescopes did have some 6" DOBS but they are now discontinued

Hi Radac (Airline speak for Radioactive) its very much like music as in ,I followed Martins link and looked at the next model up NexStar 130 SLT its an extra 100 pound but hey life is short. (I see a divorce on the horizion) always buying beyond my means.

Does the Alt-Azimuth Mount sit directly on the ground or do you need to accessorize

Ron I will defo need all the help in the world.

Pete

Hello Gents,

Thanks for all the feed back.

Martin I think you got it in one will try for a refund and go for a DOB. Uk-Telescopes did have some 6" DOBS but they are now discontinued

Hi Radac (Airline speak for Radioactive) its very much like music as in ,I followed Martins link and looked at the next model up NexStar 130 SLT its an extra 100 pound but hey life is short. (I see a divorce on the horizion) always buying beyond my means.

Does the Alt-Azimuth Mount sit directly on the ground or do you need to accessorize

Ron I will defo need all the help in the world.

Oh yes Pete you have the bug and resistance as they say is futile

re the alt ax mount question I don't think this was directed at me but here is maybe a usefull url for modding these type of mounts

http://www.homebuiltastronomy.com/stool/EasyAltAzMountModification.htm

hope it may be of some help it sure looks interesting I only use EQ mounts myself

• 3 weeks later...

Archived