Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Uppsala, Sweden

glappkaeft

Hi everyone.

I'm Patrik Holmström, originaly from the north (Umeå) and middle (Sundsvall) of Sweden. I have been an active amateur observer and astrophotographer since 2007 but I caught the bug early, I started reading astronomy books as soon as I learned to read and I got my first telescope when I was 11. After a winter or so the telescope stayed in storage but I continued reading. It wasn't until 5 years after I moved south to Uppsala to attend university I ran across the local astronomy club and the night classes held by the astronomy institution that I took up our hobbies more practical side again. Nowadays I'm the secretary of the astronomy club, involved with our outreach projects (using the 1892 refractor in the old observatory building), the club observatory and of course my own projects as well.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Patrik, Welcome to SGL.

I lived in Malmø for about six months when I was working in Copenhagen until the commute got too much for me and I moved back to Copenhagen. This was in the days before the bridge. I used to take the hydrofoil then.

Avtar

Hi Patrik and welcome to the forum. It would seem you are a busy chap with all that outreach to organise and look forward to reading about your experiences at the eyepiece in future posts. Out of interest what is the size of the 1892 refractor?

Clear skies

James

Hi Patrik and welcome to the forum. It would seem you are a busy chap with all that outreach to organise and look forward to reading about your experiences at the eyepiece in future posts. Out of interest what is the size of the 1892 refractor?

Clear skies

James

Yeah, we keep busy. Like one of our members told a reporter, "You got to do someting after work".

The telescope is a double refractor with a 32 cm photographic tube and a 36 cm visual tube, both F/15 from Steinheil. Here's a picture from the time we did a test with modern eyepieces on tricky double stars (I'm the guy second left). Usually we don't use this telescope that much ourself because of the LP.

post-31484-0-77400800-1382049431_thumb.j

Hej Patrick,

Welcome on board from me to - sounds like you've got a plumb job and long experience (pun on that 9" F15 frac ;) ).   Look forward to hearing more of Uppsala and the observatory and hopefully lots of pictures and observing reports from dark Swedish winter skies.

Jake

Archived