Hello.

harry1969

Hello all, thought I should introduce myself. My name is Harry, I live in Northern Ireland and I've just bought myself a new 'scope. I bought a Zeiss Telementor 2 about twenty years ago and dabbled a bit with that but it's languished in the attic for years (and I must get around to selling I think) but having heard about Comet Ison a few month ago it reignited my interest in the night sky so I started looking about for a new and better telescope to use to see the comet and thereafter to use for general astronomy and perhaps some astrophotography too. Having long liked the design of the Cassegrain, it being a fairly good all rounder and also compact for the aperture I was looking at getting a Skywatcher Skymax 127 Goto but happened upon a Celestron C8 XLT for what seemed a very good price on Ebay. I came with a CG5 mount, Kson 2" diagonal, an unbranded 32mm eyepiece of unknown design and a 15mm Vixen NPL. I also purchased subsequently the Skywatcher Synscan upgrade for EQ5 which I have successfully installed and had a play with on Tuesday night. I tried a few DSO's on the Guided Tour option but was defeated by light pollution - having set the telescope up in front of the house in the full glare of our street lights for testing. Still it was useful to get the thing up and running and guiding accurately. It also showed me how rusty my knowledge of the stars is when I first looked through the Polar scope and had trouble deciding which one was Polaris!!! Soon got the right one and got it lined up (well, I say "soon", it was't really THAT soon) and viewed a multiple star, the Pleiades, Uranus and the moon. I have yet to try controlling the telescope from Stellarium and I'm also currently trying to build an enclosure for a Logitech C500 webcam that I have lying about. 

Looking at getting a few new eyepieces also as my current set is far from complete. Thinking of starting with a 25mm Celestron X-Cel or a BST Starguider.

Looking forward to participating in SGL 

Harry

Archived