NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Weather is looking good for tonight according to met check.

I use the wood head tunnel rocks as the location.

Not checked much else but I'm going up tonight, although not sure what time at present as I'm still in ponty with my daughters.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weather is looking good for tonight according to met check.

I use the wood head tunnel rocks as the location.

Not checked much else but I'm going up tonight, although not sure what time at present as I'm still in ponty with my daughters.

Wood head tunnel is up on the tops near Dunford bridge. It's just for the weather around winscar

Went out last night about 22:15 until 01:15 with couple of breaks in between, didnt catch any glimpse at all of a meteor let alone a fireball which would have been great if i had seen that, although sky was very clear. I brought my 10x50 bino's out and 5x40 digi nightscope to break the time up really, the Milky Way was looking really good last night and when observing with the night scope the colours of various stars was fantastic, now to be honest I didn't have a clue as to some of the things I was looking at up there, Clusters, smudges, Blue Star, Red Stars etc etc,however, at least,  I can recognise some of the Circumpolar Constellations by name and position now and also have over the relative short time I have been using my SW200P seen the following:

M31 (my very first Star Hop lol to find) found easy in bino's but took longer with scope but well worth it)

Saturn (seeing ring system for first time was absolutely beautifull)

Jupiter and 3 moons at time, not sure of which moons they were)  (viewed bands but not seen great red spot as yet)

Mars (Seen quite easily but found this a little difficult to observe any detail)

Moon (great views of craters,valleys etc)

Orion (big grey dust cloud and stars good viewing)

Venus - no detail

Pleiades (seven sisters)

OK thats my lots so far, absolute beginner compared with some of you guys, your obs and knowledge are mind boggling lol, but I really enjoy reading your contributions here at SGL, will be attending Horbury Academy School in September all things being equal.

Out tonight, broken cloud in Ossett at moment, (20:30) fingers crossed.

Eric

Just home from the Yorkshire Air Museum - had a really nice day there with lots to see.

Downloaded my photos from last night, and I have caught something on a couple of them.

Here they are to see what you think - not sure if they are meteors or satellites to be honest, but it's all good fun.

The first image is within the summer triangle, including my favourite Brocchi's Cluster, and the second shows Cassiopeia and M31 :)

post-39306-0-01818900-1439321672_thumb.j

post-39306-0-04811400-1439321705_thumb.j

Hi all

A bit of topic I am in the market for a new telescope I am considering the nexstar se8

Or the evolution 6 any thoughts

Am I right in thinking that if I am a member of WADAS I get 10% discount with green- witch

Hope you all had great holidays we did in Devon

Neil

Went out last night about 22:15 until 01:15 with couple of breaks in between, didnt catch any glimpse at all of a meteor let alone a fireball which would have been great if i had seen that, although sky was very clear. I brought my 10x50 bino's out and 5x40 digi nightscope to break the time up really, the Milky Way was looking really good last night and when observing with the night scope the colours of various stars was fantastic, now to be honest I didn't have a clue as to some of the things I was looking at up there, Clusters, smudges, Blue Star, Red Stars etc etc,however, at least, I can recognise some of the Circumpolar Constellations by name and position now and also have over the relative short time I have been using my SW200P seen the following:

M31 (my very first Star Hop lol to find) found easy in bino's but took longer with scope but well worth it)

Saturn (seeing ring system for first time was absolutely beautifull)

Jupiter and 3 moons at time, not sure of which moons they were) (viewed bands but not seen great red spot as yet)

Mars (Seen quite easily but found this a little difficult to observe any detail)

Moon (great views of craters,valleys etc)

Orion (big grey dust cloud and stars good viewing)

Venus - no detail

Pleiades (seven sisters)

OK thats my lots so far, absolute beginner compared with some of you guys, your obs and knowledge are mind boggling lol, but I really enjoy reading your contributions here at SGL, will be attending Horbury Academy School in September all things being equal.

Out tonight, broken cloud in Ossett at moment, (20:30) fingers crossed.

Eric

Great observations Eric and will be looking forward to seeing you at the next meeting.

Feel free to venture out if you can and meet us for a viewing session.

Damian

WB Kieran, great to hear from you at last. Look forward to you getting sorted and out again!

Great reports Damian and Eric, some excellent viewing there!

Nice images Vicky, I'm sure the first is a satellite as it is a constant mag with no lead in or out, if you have another before or after pic then it will prob be on those as well. I'd also say the second is an iridium flare as it fades in and out reasonably constantly, a meteor will fade in slow but tend to finish brighter then not much else, it also seems to be going towards Perseus rather than away, but I could be mistaken ;)

Neil, Lee has indeed said he would give us a discount but best double check with him first.

WB Kieran, great to hear from you at last. Look forward to you getting sorted and out again!

Great reports Damian and Eric, some excellent viewing there!

Nice images Vicky, I'm sure the first is a satellite as it is a constant mag with no lead in or out, if you have another before or after pic then it will prob be on those as well. I'd also say the second is an iridium flare as it fades in and out reasonably constantly, a meteor will fade in slow but tend to finish brighter then not much else, it also seems to be going towards Perseus rather than away, but I could be mistaken ;)

Neil, Lee has indeed said he would give us a discount but best double check with him first.

I agree on both them pics 2nd is defo an iridium flare, very nice pics tho.

Just in from my session at Winscar with Sam.

One thing I will say is those biting little critters are out in force. Just looked at myself in the mirror and it looks like I've got chicken pox!!

Apart from that a crystal clear night and a shame to leave.

More tomorrow as it's time for bed but if we are heading up there tomorrow I'd advise insect repellant!

Damian

Archived