WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-39455-0-15835700-1449333378_thumb.j

I did manage to get this shot. After some playing I did 2 180 seconds exposures iso400 75 to 300mm @75mm this is just one of them ( not worth stacking )

i have croped and re sized. look to have cought some of the flame nebula

Looks a bit blurred due to the cropping

Nice shot Mark with a hint of Horsehead too

I was not sure if it was or not. I will take it if you say it's there. First try with the star adventure. Sky was clear when I set up a run of 20 lights with APT after the third it was totally cloudy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done Mark - definitely captured the flame nebula and the horsehead nebula coming through too - good job.

Neil - I've only used the Star Adventurer once, but it is incredibly easy to set up and use. Very light and portable, and slots together easily.

The polar scope is clear and with the help of an app, such as PS Align, you can be polar aligned and ready in minutes.

Due to the lightweight nature of the gear, you can simply move the tripod into the right position and then finely adjust the wedge by the easy to turn handle. Simple.

The lightness of the set-up could also be a bit of it's let down, as I knocked it lightly whist using it and it moved quite considerably.

However, I just had to re-check the position of Polaris to re-align it again.

I suppose with any portable tracking device, it is only as good as the polar alignment, and I understand it isn't as accurate as more expensive bits of kit, such as the Astrotrac. However, I am looking forward to to getting out with it again.

Easy to use, takes 5 minutes to set up, 2 minutes to pack away, runs on AA batteries. Relatively inexpensive in the Astro-gear world. Really small bit of kit you can chuck in the car or in the garden very easily. Can't really say anything negative, other than you just gave to be really careful not to knock it.

I took these images the first time I used it when I went to Winscar with Mark on 1st November.

M31 is 6 stacked images - 2 minutes exposure at ISO800

M45 The Pleiades is single 2 minute exposure ISO800

post-39306-0-99229200-1449357342.jpg

post-39306-0-16252100-1449357392_thumb.j

Mark

Thinking about getting a star adventure myself are they easy to setup and use

Neil

Sorry Neil was in bed early last night.

I think Vicky has covered every thing in her book.

You do need a really sturdy tripod but it is easy to set up and works really well.

It's the first time Iv had chance to use mine and I'm really happy with the results [emoji106]

Sorry Neil was in bed early last night.

I think Vicky has covered every thing in her book.

You do need a really sturdy tripod but it is easy to set up and works really well.

It's the first time I've had chance to use mine and I'm really happy with the results [emoji106]

Hehe, thanks Mark.

Think I'm going to try adding some weight onto my tripod next time I use it, as it is a sturdy but light tripod that I have mine mounted on.

What tripod do you use for yours Mark?

Have you got the wedge part of the Star Adventurer permanently attached to the tripod?

It's just the tripod Iv had for ages it's all metal but I could do with a more stable one. It works ok just a bit Springy in the legs.

I was thinking of a eq5 tripod and grinding the pole off the base and putting a plate on it and fitting it to that. It may be more stable and just as portable as it is now. I don't have the wedg on permanent as it's easy to remove. Iv fitted it in a flight case too so I just have to pick the case up.

63a5c78d4021600a26d3a44a15b68ed9.jpg

It's just the tripod Iv had for ages it's all metal but I could do with a more stable one. It works ok just a bit Springy in the legs.

I was thinking of a eq5 tripod and grinding the pole off the base and putting a plate on it and fitting it to that. It may be more stable and just as portable as it is now. I don't have the wedg on permanent as it's easy to remove. Iv fitted it in a flight case too so I just have to pick the case up. 63a5c78d4021600a26d3a44a15b68ed9.jpg

Hi mark

That looks nice

I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod and a joystick 327RC2 head

Do you use a ball head with the star adventure and your camera

Neil

I put the star adventure straight on to the tripod and use a ball head on the L bracket but if you google star adventure there are numerous ways to fit the camera and a small scope

Binocular advice needed please, I'm wanting to get an OK pair for myself Christmas, I think 10×40 but what's a good make? I know nothing about the brands. Cost wise, I've bit decided on a budget yet, bit noting massively expensive, I just want a good set that will last me a few years. Ta

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Binocular advice needed please, I'm wanting to get an OK pair for myself Christmas, I think 10×40 but what's a good make? I know nothing about the brands. Cost wise, I've bit decided on a budget yet, bit noting massively expensive, I just want a good set that will last me a few years. Ta

i have a pair of Pentax 12x50 xfc lovely and clear and at the moment there down to £69 from£169 on Amazon. I can really recommend them Chris they come with a 10 year guarantee

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-12x50-XCF-Binoculars-Case/dp/B000067O8G

i have a pair of Pentax 12x50 xfc lovely and clear and at the moment there down to £69 from£169 on Amazon. I can really recommend them Chris they come with a 10 year guarantee

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-12x50-XCF-Binoculars-Case/dp/B000067O8G

Cheers Mark, I'll have a look at them. I was unsure what size to get, 40s seem a bit small when I thought about it. They seem a good price though.

Cheers Mark, I'll have a look at them. I was unsure what size to get, 40s seem a bit small when I thought about it. They seem a good price though.

They are an excellent price I paid £160 for mine last year but there you go

Archived