Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There a big aperture, how do you find using them without a tripod as there a 25x mag? I do have a tripod that I used to use for a camcorder years ago, they might fit that.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

If you want to have a go anytime with my celestron 25x70 bino's to get the feel of them, just let me know.

Eric

Just seen the local forecast on the BBC, looks like there's about 4 good bands of rain moving across the region during the day, then he stopped about 4pm lol, but on the national forcast it looks like clear skies tomorrow night but maybe a chance of a shower around 9pm. Temperature down to 4 but will be slightly colder at windscar

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Beautiful image Kieran - so pleased you managed to get out to do some imaging again - great job!

Love monochrome images.

Was good to get out for a couple of hours with Ryan, Neil, Damian and Eric.

Good to see Eric getting first light through his scope - looks like it is going to be a cracking "little" scope that one - good choice Eric!

Felt good to be outside with good company seeing a few stars.

My camera wasn't playing ball (think it's operator was mucking about too much lol), so this is probably the best of a very bad bunch.

Constellation of Orion with M42 and a hint of NGC 2024 The Flame Nebula.

However, I cannot see The Horsehead Nebula.

I'll have a proper look through my couple of images this evening and see what I can tweak out  :)

post-39306-0-57728400-1449645069_thumb.j

What exposure is it Vicky. Mine were 3mins

Just 2 minutes last night Mark, which is probably why it hasn't come through

1) I did a very poor job of polar aligning, and was getting trailing on longer exposures, and

2) On exposures longer than 2 minutes, even at a low ISO, the images were too washed out to make any detail - almost coming out orange

Think there was too much moisture in the atmosphere.

Not a productive session for me really, but it was good to get out for a couple of hours and see some stars :)

The ones I did were only iso400 and that was just south of Kelling and if you look In the corner there's light pollution from Cromer.

It's a nice image all the same and it's one to work on in the future that you can work on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What exposure is it Vicky. Mine were 3mins

Mark

To get 3 mins exposure times do you use a cable release on the bulb setting

To keep the shutter open

Neil

Kieran, are you using a monochrome CCD with a DSLR lens attached to it using that Geoptik Canon CCD lens adaptor?

Does the h-Alpha filter screw into the centre on the Geoptik, as that is what it looks like it does?

Do you use a guide camera, or just an EQ tracking mount?

Sorry for the questions, but I was looking at one of those Geoptik adaptors, but wasn't sure what they were like to use.

Stunning images by the way - monochrome h-Alpha filtered images are the way I want to go to start with.

Mark

To keep the shutter open

Neil

Hi Neil - on my DSLR you have to use "bulb" setting for anything over 30 seconds.

Yes, you just keep the shutter open for as long as you like, but you need to be pretty accurately polar aligned to avoid trailing.

Think most DSLRs will give the timer count on the screen to monitor how long the exposure is :)

Mark

To keep the shutter open

Neil

Sorry Neil been to pictures.

I have a windows tablet and used APT you can set it up so it dose it remotely and it's easy to use

Hi Neil - on my DSLR you have to use "bulb" setting for anything over 30 seconds.

Yes, you just keep the shutter open for as long as you like, but you need to be pretty accurately polar aligned to avoid trailing.

Think most DSLRs will give the timer count on the screen to monitor how long the exposure is :)

The only problem with that is that you need to be really accurate with the timings for stacking DSS dose not seem to let me stack unless they are all the same length exposures

The only problem with that is that you need to be really accurate with the timings for stacking DSS dose not seem to let me stack unless they are all the same length exposures

That's interesting Mark, and useful to know as I will be using APT when I start doing my imaging with the DSLR.

Will probably only be able to do it when I'm on my own, or with other imagers, as the laptop screen will not go down well if others are trying to do visual.

After my frustrating time last night, APT will help me achieve good focus without losing half my battery life too!

Thanks for the heads up Mark :)

A couple of ES82 EPs just gone into the SGL classifieds - a 4.7mm and a 14mm if anyone is interested.

Also a set of Baader narrowband filters Ha, Oiii and Sii for £180 for anyone going that way.

I'm tempted, but narrowband filters will have to wait a while yet!

Archived