Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sketchy discovery

Moonshane

In no way would I describe myself as artistic. In fact, I am the epitome of someone that cannot draw to save their life. However, sometimes you just have to 'go for it' and last night was the night when I did my first 'prioer' sketches.

I thought that as stars are just dots on a grid, I should be able to at least get a broad representation of what I am seeing in the eyepiece with a little care. This I thought would be helpful particularly with small NGC open clusters as often you really have difficulty separating what's a cluster and what's not a cluster, especially so as I don't use a laptop at the eyepiece so cannot look at pics online to check if what I am seeing is what I think it is.

So, armed with my pad and a pen I created seven sketches last night and I have to say they worked rather well. In fact one of the objects (NGC 7142) was sketched and I could not reconcile the pattern I found with the images later on when I returned inside. The othersmatched well. It turned out I had found the star cluster which gives NGC 7129 its nebulosity (although none could be seen). Armed with this I went back out and correctly identified 7142. I'll sketch this next time out.

Having done this I am enthused to try other objects as although I'll never reach the beauty of some of the artists on here, at least it will give me a future reference and an opportunity to confirm sightings with images later. Spending more time observing an object is also more fun than 'a quick look and move on'.

post-5119-0-27948900-1380458471_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-50815100-1380458539_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-97685600-1380458563_thumb.jp

Sketching is a great way of actually really concontrating on what they are observing  rather than just looking,the longer you observe an object the more you can see  with in abd around it.

Great work Shane by the way it gives you great satisfaction, i think sitting at the eyepiece and recording what you are looking at and making notes on it.

I try to sketch when ever i am out and only when i sketch the object i then tick it off my list of seen objects.

Well done.

Doing the sketches is the physical evidence, that you can take with you, alongside any notes, that will reactivate your captured memory of the characterists of particular objects, during a session, days, weeks, months later. 

'Rough and Ready' is good.

Where do you find your star charts you use to find all of the NGC's and other lesser known lists? I just found out that my star walk app on my iPad severely lacks most of the NGC objects. Has all of the Messiers, but none of the lesser known lists.

Archived