Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Odd OIII filter gradient - Why?

swag72

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sry Sara for sort of diverting your thread slightly...

It occurred to me on my way home from work, I don't use the nosepiece either as I use spacers with a FR/FF.... doh... I've dug it out.

Here it is:

post-11176-0-56199900-1379696583_thumb.j

However, the question remains..  if it were to be used wouldn't it be a problem with 2" filters ?

Sry Sara for sort of diverting your thread slightly...

Yes, sorry from me too Sara  :blush:

However, the question remains..  if it were to be used wouldn't it be a problem with 2" filters ?

It would but they have another nosepiece for 2" filters. The one in your photo (thank you) is supplied only with EFW2 filter wheels fitted with a 1.25" disk. If you change the disk for a 36mm or 2" filter disk you would need the regular nosepiece with a full 2" opening. 

Anyhow, Sara isn't using an Atik filter wheel. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Yes, sorry from me too Sara.

It would but they have another nosepiece for 2" filters. The one in your photo is supplied only with EFW2 filter wheels fitted with a 1.25" disk. If you change the disk for a 36mm or 2" filter disk you would need the regular nosepiece with a full 2" opening.

HTH,

Steve

Ah that's what I expected. I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere before it came up in this thread so thought I should clarify.

Thanks Steve

Sara I hope this is resolved soon for you. Thank you for the floor.. Which I now return to you. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sara and I have been chatting offline about this especially since I ran a flat through my 3nm OIII filter with a Atik460ex and indeed the banding appears on both our flats. So it looks like I may have to contact my supplier also so Sara doesn't feel like Billy No Mates.

gallery_18516_2259_32168.png

So yes there is some banding visible as to the cause well I'll be blowed, I have enough issues with the Artemis software locking up randomly on the stage when it doing an image download !

Flat was taken using a poster panel illuminated screen for ~1.2s via a WO ZS71, the Astrodon 3nm OII filter is mounted in a Atik EFW2.

GG

Steve, Gina lives in Devon, Sara lives in Spain ! I have a 5nm Ha Astrodon and some Baader RGB filters that I can try first, I will have another play later tomorrow with what I've got. I appreciate the offer but you may be better sending the 7nm Ha filter to someone else with a Atik460 that is more experienced than me !

Opps looks like that post has gone AWOL

Yes, sorry, I was confused  :coffee:

Gina isn't experiencing the problem.

I just had a hunch it might be related to the unusually narrow 3nm bandwidth filter.

It sounds like there are two retailers and at least one manufacturer on the case so I should probably just sit back and wait for the outcome :smiley:

Steve 

Steve,

I will be contacting my supplier tomorrow, I'm never sure how to start these sort of comms with companies who aren't ultimately responsible for the product. Sara states she did not see this issue with her 5nm Astrodon filters so I figured I would at least have a look at my 5nm flats since we only compared 3nm flats with each other. She has also sent off my flat alongside hers.

Regards

Mark

I will keep the idea going (although largely unnoticed) that it may have something to do with the stretching of what is really very, very little data. I have yet to take any flats with my setup but here for a comparison is 1 hour 40 minutes of essentially nothing (M81 and M82 - but inbetween virtually nothing).

I set out to stretch this nothing until it started showing artefacts and I can see hints of a similar banding pattern.

Atik 460ex, Astrodon 3nm Ha

/Jesper

gallery_16323_2313_1633314.png

post-7987-0-85186600-1379754571_thumb.jp

As a comparison, this is a super stretch from an Atik 460 with EFW2 but with the Baader OIII filter. It's a stack of 8 15min exposures. I don't see any banding. I've also checked an individual sub and see nothing there either. Hope that is of some help.

Now that is a clean stack. (I tried to push it even further but it holds up).

I use the old Atik USB filter wheel, 5 position 1.25" mounted filters and it's bolted straight to the SW FF/FR with what I seem to remember a T2 or smaller actual opening to the wheel side.

How's cooling? I'm at -5 set point - still kinda warm here.

/Jesper

Hmm... the plot thickens.

I just had a knock on the door - YES! - and a kind delivery man handed over Astrodon 3nm SII and OIII filters amongst other goodies.

Might have to pop the OIII in there and see what comes out of that.

/Jesper

I looked at my Baader OIII data and it's as clean as a whistle. The issue for me has been at the introduction of the 3nm filters. As FLO aren't the Astrodon retailers, they are unlikely to have this problem reported to them.

Popped that up as there had been some comments about being potentially cam or wheel related so hopefully it is now definitely narrowed down to being filter related as you originally indicated.

I've done some test images with just the filter in the camera nosepiece - Doesn't look like it's a filter issue to me as the sub was clean.

I've done various images involving different variables and it is now being looked at by Atik.

I've done some test images with just the filter in the camera nosepiece - Doesn't look like it's a filter issue to me as the sub was clean.

One point of interest is that changes to position of the filter though, not sure by how much though.

Edit my text larger as i messed up the quote somehow.... pudding fingers LOL

Archived