Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Holiday treat

Stargazer_00

Going on holiday next week for a week to the deepest, darkest part of Norfolk (near Kelling Heath).

Have rented a giant cottage for just me and the wife and our dogs, with a huge garden surrounded by nothing but farmland.

To celebrate what could be (clouds permitting) a really lovely dark vista I have treated myself to a 13mm Ethos, brand new :)

Fingers crossed it's first light gets to be jet black skies!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds fantastic Graham - let us know how you get on with the Ethos (and Deloses, and Nagler and...  :D) and of course the nice dark Norfolk skies!

My wife's family live in Norfolk and I keep threatening to put my 200P in the back of the car when we visit. One day...

GrahamThe moon is up next week :( but you should be able to use it before midnight for a while. Nice one and good luck with itApologies to all the moon lovers☺Barry

It is up, yup. Part of the reason I bought the zoom. On the last few nights it won't appear until midnight so I get some time in the dark. Hopefully it'll be clear for me :)

Where's the astronomy bit? The bit where he's looking through the EP and the image goes dark. He looks up to see a hooded figure in front of the scope handing him a stock 10mm plossl ......cue screams of horror!!!!!

Barry

I thought I'd already posted in this, but maybe not, I've had a couple of posts fail recently.

Anyway,

To celebrate what could be (clouds permitting) a really lovely dark vista I have treated myself to a 13mm Ethos, brand new :)

I did laugh out loud at that, you bad boy!

As penance, you must write us an in depth first light report (please).

Have a cracking holiday!

Cheers

Going on holiday next week for a week to the deepest, darkest part of Norfolk (near Kelling Heath).

Have rented a giant cottage for just me and the wife and our dogs, with a huge garden surrounded by nothing but farmland.

Fingers crossed it's first light gets to be jet black skies

Well, that's that plan well and truly jinxed....

Thou shalt not speak unto the faithful thy hopes, lest they be stuffed by karma. :BangHead:

Russell

I just popped it in my 6" at lunch to have a quick feel for it.  Doesn't come to focus in 2" mode in a 35mm extension.  I put just the 1.25" section in my SC 1.25" - 2" adaptor and tighetend it up.  only the short part protruding from the 2" barrell can be inserted into the adaptor, but when tightened it is held firmly in place.  I tried simply pulling it out of the adpator to see how firmly it was fixed and it pulled the drawtube out instead even though it was held with the focus tube lock screw. 

I have a 50mm extension on my main scope but I believe just using the 1.25" mode is held safely enough for usage (not an EQ mount so the EP will never be in an upside down position anyway)

Anyway, I coudlnt see all the field with the rubber eyecup up.  In truth I didn't expect to either as my day time eye dilation would be tiny my eye position wont be the same during the day as it will be at night where my iris is fully dilated.  With the rubber down I can see the whole field and what a giant field it is.  I can still perceive the field stop, but only just!  I had a play around for a little while looking at trees and got to thinking it looked similar to my 82 degree eyepieces.

I put in an 18mm ES 82 and it felt like looking through a straw!....  :D

I put in an 18mm ES 82 and it felt like looking through a straw!....  :D

Don't be nasty now, that's one of my favourite EPs!

Good speedy delivery though, where did it come from?

I've got my fingers crossed for tonight too, I've been a practising Roman Catholic heretic for years, it's never done me any good!

But it's been so windy here the last few days, I reckon the extra weight of your ethos would come in handy to keep the dob on the ground!

Cheers

Archived