Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ethos or Delos 10mm

jetstream

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerry,

I have never used the Pentax XW 10mm but a few on site have this and regard it very highly indeed, some have even called it best of the fine line from Pentax. I have only used the 7mm of a friend and have owned the 14mm and 5mm. The two shorter focal lengths were indeed as good as they come but the 14mm did not perform as well as the Delos 14mm, a report a did a few months back.

Now the difficult one Ethos or Delos. I had the 10mm Delos and have writen a report on on it which is in Users equipment somewhere, I called the review something like "10mm Delos an eyepieces for everyone". I think having used the 10mm Ethos now for a while and remembering what the Delos was like I would go for the Delos, especially if the extra FOV is not that important to you. I find I use this more as a higher power on the long F/L scopes so FOV is not first on the list. I am not saying the 10mm Ethos is bad, far from it, it is excellent, I think just for my uses the Delos would be better.

I think to go any deeper than stating a preference I would need them side by side for a good long while, both are very high quality optics and there is not going to be very much between them on anything. If it were me I would buy the Delos, I have a few of the range and this one is one that i would seriously re-buy as I sort of miss it.

Hope this is of some help.

alan.

Its a tough call at this focal length Gerry? As you already have the 17mm Ethos, I personally would probably go with the 10mm Ethos. That said,the 10mm Delos/XW are both exceptional eyepieces, I've owned the Delos & still have the XW. Good luck with your decision!

10 Ethos or 10 Delos ? What a lovely dilemma :grin:

If you wear specs to observe, I'd go Delos with the 20mm eyerelief. I don't wear specs to observe, and have no trouble at all being aware of the Ethos field stop all the way around the field of view. Of course I'm not looking at the field stop, just aware of it.

So for me (no specs) it would be Ethos. Don't own either, but have looked through both.

Regards, Ed.

I ended up buying the delos 8 and 12 mm after taking advice off forum members and trying a couple from a friend, im very happy with both and being a glasses wearer it was a no brainer they are awsome both for comfort and quality, only one problem, a 27mm panoptic has since been added and now the 17.3 delos looks to be next when funds allow..

Another one here but with great respect to the Delos and XW in this focal length. All really fantastic eyepieces no doubt about it.

....all class glass here john, its that FOV that gets me everytime ...not to all tastes of course

Me I'm going to buck the trend and go for the delos, I didn't like the ultra wide fov of the ethos. Having said that I own a delos and an xw and the only difference is I like the focal length of my delos better. By all the accounts I have read the xw 10mm is a stand out eyepiece amongst a very good series if it is as stand out as they say it may just be the best eyepiece on the planet

Well as the Delos is the cheaper version of the Ethos then surely it has to be the Ethos, unless cost is an issue :smiley:

I am not sure the delos is a cheaper version of the ethos it'a different eyepiece to quote from tv's website

Tele Vue Delos Eyepieces

Concept: It was natural to take lessons learned from the tremendously successful Ethos project and apply it going forward. In the fall of 2008, Paul Dellechiaie was tasked to investigate a long eye-relief eyepiece design in the 70° AFOV range, retaining the key performance goals met with Ethos. My father named Paul's design, "Delos." Delos is a beautiful Greek island which happens to be the mythical birthplace of Apollo, god of light. More importantly the name was chosen to give recognition to Paul, principal designer of both Delos and Ethos. — David Nagler

I see it more as a sibling rather than a cheap version. Different but still as good

....I see it more as a sibling rather than a cheap version. Different but still as good...

Yes, thats how I understand the Delos too. It's actually been reported to be able to see faint DSO's a little better even than the Ethos by those using very large scopes (25" or more) under very dark skies.

I am a Hyper Wide fan too,but my Delos give great views on objects,thats for sure.I love different viewing experiences and seeing as I have 2 Delos I think I need to balance that out with 2 Ethos! :grin: I wonder if a guy could get a deal on say 3 of them... :evil: The 17mm Ethos is here tomorrow,hopefully I can pick it up and give it a try on Monday.

Gerry,

I have never used the Pentax XW 10mm but a few on site have this and regard it very highly indeed, some have even called it best of the fine line from Pentax. I have only used the 7mm of a friend and have owned the 14mm and 5mm. The two shorter focal lengths were indeed as good as they come but the 14mm did not perform as well as the Delos 14mm, a report a did a few months back.

Now the difficult one Ethos or Delos. I had the 10mm Delos and have writen a report on on it which is in Users equipment somewhere, I called the review something like "10mm Delos an eyepieces for everyone". I think having used the 10mm Ethos now for a while and remembering what the Delos was like I would go for the Delos, especially if the extra FOV is not that important to you. I find I use this more as a higher power on the long F/L scopes so FOV is not first on the list. I am not saying the 10mm Ethos is bad, far from it, it is excellent, I think just for my uses the Delos would be better.

I think to go any deeper than stating a preference I would need them side by side for a good long while, both are very high quality optics and there is not going to be very much between them on anything. If it were me I would buy the Delos, I have a few of the range and this one is one that i would seriously re-buy as I sort of miss it.

Hope this is of some help.

alan.

Hi Alan,did you sell the 10mm Delos,but keep the 10mm Ethos?

I am not sure the delos is a cheaper version of the ethos it'a different eyepiece to quote from tv's website

Tele Vue Delos Eyepieces

Concept: It was natural to take lessons learned from the tremendously successful Ethos project and apply it going forward. In the fall of 2008, Paul Dellechiaie was tasked to investigate a long eye-relief eyepiece design in the 70° AFOV range, retaining the key performance goals met with Ethos. My father named Paul's design, "Delos." Delos is a beautiful Greek island which happens to be the mythical birthplace of Apollo, god of light. More importantly the name was chosen to give recognition to Paul, principal designer of both Delos and Ethos. — David Nagler

I see it more as a sibling rather than a cheap version. Different but still as good

That is a good way to describe the Delos-a sibling-this eyepiece is a progression of the Ethos line that was taken in a different direction,for Televues stated reasons.And it is tremendously successful,the Delos has sure given a lot of sales momentum to Televue.

I haven't tried the 10mm Ethos but have had a look through the 8 and 13. I have also had a good go with the 10mm Delos and 10mm XW. To my eyes I couldn't really tell any significant difference between any of them in optical quality. Personally, I don't like the ultrawide fields of the Ethe, which is fortunate as the eye relief is a little restricted (I wear glasses). The eyerelief and aFOV of the Delos and XW are perfect for me and these eyepieces were almost indistinguishable in use. I felt that the XW gave a very slightly brighter image, and being mainly a DSO junkie this is what I went for. I feel the 10mm XW is closer to the 7mm and 5mm than to the 14mm or 20mm in performance.

Archived