Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I need a metal sealant - not sure which...

emadmoussa

I'd like to apply an extra layer of metal / rust sealant to the my pillar mount since I'm considering leaving it under some cover for few days outside.

Does anybody have an experience with such rust sealant? Can I apply to the mount body as well? Any tips?

post-27451-0-35075900-1378722128_thumb.j

It already has a protective coating. It's called paint.. :grin:

There is a product called ACF-50 which is a protective oil-based spray on coating. It is very, very good stuff, but I'd be very wary of using it on astro kit as it has very high "creep" properties. If it got anywhere near optics then it's creep into every nook and cranny.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

Could you stand the pillar base inside some sort of outdoor furniture cover and then cable tie it around the pillar? You probably would not have to uncover it unless you moved the pillar. You can then put another cover over the top of the mount and gather / tie it just below the top of the base cover.

Could you stand the pillar base inside some sort of outdoor furniture cover and then cable tie it around the pillar? You probably would not have to uncover it unless you moved the pillar. You can then put another cover over the top of the mount and gather / tie it just below the top of the base cover.

Humm...pretty good idea. Thanks!!

Outside things gather rust. Recalling SGL restoration of Sir Patrick Moore's observatory? ;)

Impossible to keep ALL parts in pristine (re-saleable) condition? A change of thinking for me.

But I sense I might LIVE for less time than it might take to rust through iron / steel pillars? :p

But I can monitor things - Slap a bit of paint , where needed. Protect delicates / electronics?

That your ironmongery acquires a bit of rust "patina" might add to overall astro-coolness. :cool:

The difficulty with liquid coatings is that they attract dust - and dust attracts water, hence rust.

You also need to keep them away from electrical connectors. The last thing you want on your plugs and sockets is a nice, hard protective coating.

So you probably need a two-pronged approach. Something coating the metalwork that dries so the dust won't stick to it and doesn't spread away from where you apply it and on top of that a dust proof (and I still say: insect-proof) physical cover to keep all the particles off your mount.

It already has a protective coating. It's called paint.. :grin:

As per comment above! You're seriously over-thinking this issue. Unless the paint is chipped, scratched or flaking then it is doing its job of preventing rust.

If the paint gets damaged at some point and there is any bare metal then you have two options:

- Firstly clean off any loose/flaking paint, sand down to the bare metal and then apply a miracle substance which perfectly matches the existing white paint. it's called white paint; probably the best stuff to use is a spray can of white automotive paint. If you have anything more than a few spots or scratches, you might want to apply some primer to the bare metal, again automotive stuff in a can is the least hassle.

- The second option is to paint on some white Hammerite (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-HAM6720201-250ml-Metal-Paint/dp/B001GU8C8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378729477&sr=8-1&keywords=white+hammerite+paint). Just remove any flaking rust and paint, and paint on top of the remaining rust/bare metal. Bonds the rust and metal together to form a hard painted surface. Job done.

Personally I'd wait until I had a problem before trying to solve it (once in a while I get the odd chip around the edges of my counterweights due to them clonking together when I stack them up for storage, so keep a small can of white spray paint which keeps the rust at bay.)

If you are determined to gold plate the solution, well you could strip the paint and gold plate the pillar but might be expensive, or alternatively use some automotive spray lacquer (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simoniz-Clear-Acrylic-Lacquer-500ml/dp/B004R95MVM/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1378729905&sr=1-2&keywords=spray+lacquer) which will put another layer on top of the paint.

I'd seriously avoid any kind of oil or similar solution as it will definitely end up where you don't want it eventually (e.g. in the soil, on your trousers, on your hands, on your optics, etc.

As per comment above! You're seriously over-thinking this issue. Unless the paint is chipped, scratched or flaking then it is doing its job of preventing rust.

If the paint gets damaged at some point and there is any bare metal then you have two options:

- Firstly clean off any loose/flaking paint, sand down to the bare metal and then apply a miracle substance which perfectly matches the existing white paint. it's called white paint; probably the best stuff to use is a spray can of white automotive paint. If you have anything more than a few spots or scratches, you might want to apply some primer to the bare metal, again automotive stuff in a can is the least hassle.

- The second option is to paint on some white Hammerite (http://www.amazon.co...hammerite paint). Just remove any flaking rust and paint, and paint on top of the remaining rust/bare metal. Bonds the rust and metal together to form a hard painted surface. Job done.

Personally I'd wait until I had a problem before trying to solve it (once in a while I get the odd chip around the edges of my counterweights due to them clonking together when I stack them up for storage, so keep a small can of white spray paint which keeps the rust at bay.)

If you are determined to gold plate the solution, well you could strip the paint and gold plate the pillar but might be expensive, or alternatively use some automotive spray lacquer (http://www.amazon.co...s=spray lacquer) which will put another layer on top of the paint.

I'd seriously avoid any kind of oil or similar solution as it will definitely end up where you don't want it eventually (e.g. in the soil, on your trousers, on your hands, on your optics, etc.

Thanks a lot for the detailed answers - that gave me a lot of reassurance. :)

Just cover the mount, don't try to hermetically seal it or you will get rusting. As the air trapped inside the plastic cools overnight, water vapour will condense out and you will wonder where all the water came from when you open it up again. The only way to avoid that is to include a bag of dessicant with the mounting. A nice 100 gms of Silica Gel should do the trick but it will need drying in the oven frequently. Get the one that includes an indicator, it has different colours when wet and dry.

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/silica-gel-self-indicate-500g.html?gclid=CKnh7OvhvrkCFeGWtAodAgMAhw

Nigel

Mm...I guess I'll get a garden furniture cover and space blanket on top of it, some air venting at the bottom to allow air not anything else....

I've seen a lot people use these Telegizmo covers, but I don't think I'd spend £60 or more for just a cover...other carefully selected options are available.

Waxoyl is the stuff that you are thinking off

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=waxoyl&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=28050427713&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=368440763532452716&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7j69y1x1lo_e

However, please please take this warning seriously. It is messy, horrible stuff that will get everywhere. it can be a pain to get rid off as well (think hot steam pressure cleaner).

The supplied paint will be fine. At the end of the day, you are leaving the mount outside. If you want it to stay pristine, then don't leave it outside. Nature has a way of working her way into just about any product and to start her work of returning it to the soil from whence it came. If you leave it outside, then it will get spots of rust on bare metal/ moss and so on

I'm aware paint is protective - but I've heard you can always add some transparent layer of wax or rust sealant (something you use with cars - I don't have a care so don't know) which makes it extra resistant to weather.

waxoyl or dinartol your thinking of , bit over the top for that though, go to Halfords and buy some motorcycle chain lube its quite sticky so it wont run of and with it being a spray you can get it everywere

Archived