I can't wait and hello!

Scoobygazer

Hi All

I'm a 99% newbie to stargazing. I had a neighbour when I was young who had a 10" telecope and seeing saturn with my own eyes has always stayed with me. I've just turned 40 and need a simple yet good hobby to keep me out of mischief and give me some time to myself from my wife and 2 daughters. I've been saving for my first scope for a few months and, after much surfing and reading, decided on a Skywatcher heritage flexitube. I ordered it not 5 mins ago! I am aware that what we see isn't as 'pretty' as the posh snaps the biggie scopes get, but I'm looking forward to looking up. I am a big 'learn from others' person so I'm looking forward to learning loads from you all! Thanks to all you out there for the posts I've been reading, they have provided me with much thinking and I am now looking forward to taking up this hobby - and yes I am a trek fan and love all things scieney. Have a great day and see you in the forums.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi There,

Warm welcome to SGL. Great first scope will get you going and your family interested!!. If you have not done so already get a copy of a planetarium program, try Stellarium, its great and free and found here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/ . Also a couple of books to consider 'turn left at orion' which will help you round the sky, and 'sky & Telescope pocket star atlas' along with stellarium will show you what to look at!!

Good Luck

Thanks for the warm welcome. So I've got scope on the way, have turn left at orion. Is there anything else that I will/may need. Thinking that it is not long till Christmas and I can start to put my list together...any ideas?

Hi Scoobygazer,

a red torch is always another useful thing to have for reading in the dark. Doesn't mess up your night vision like a normal torch does. Other little things I like to have to hand, a notepad and pencil for tracking what you see, or to do some sketches. The obligatory warm jacket and hip flask to warm the cockles a bit.

I use my copy of Turn Left every time I'm out, but might be worth looking for a star atlas of some sort. As this has been my first full year of the hobby, I also found useful the Philips Stargazing 2013 book. I assume there will be a 2014 version too. Gives a high-level look at what you could see each month and tells you about some of the objects in more detail. I find it a good place to start before setting foot outside. Always a good idea to have a vague plan of what you're looking for beforehand.

Enjoy your new scope,

MMM

Hi Scoobygazer and welcome to SGL from me as well - sure you'll get a lot of kicks from the heritage 130, great first scope and ideal way to find your way around the sky. On the can't wait side, I'm afraid you'll find this hobby requires a fair bit of patience under UK skies and there seems to be an unwritten law that new kit draws the clouds in. However, it will pass and as the longer nights are drawing in you should get some dark/clear skies in the not too distant. Enjoy!

hi scubbygazer and welcome. these on here have been a great help to me too, didn't realise you can learn so much just by reading their advice.and Without wanting to rock the marital boat, ask the wife for an observatory, just curios to know if we can hear the reply in Essex!!! good luck with the sg, Lum

Archived