Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon L27 sensor

Leo.A

I'm contemplating picking up a new $70 Nikon L27 point and shoot camera.

Would anyone know whether it's possible to strip the ccd out of the camera and utilise it as a web cam?

The reason I ask is it's a 16.1MP CCD of decent size and most I can lose trying is $70.

Image sensor

1/2.3-in. type CCD; total pixels: approx. 16.44 million

Were it possible to strip the ccd module/card and incorporate it into a web cam, the images would be spectacular I should imagine.

Thanks MooMoo!

I just looked up the specs on the L18 and L20 and respectively, they have 8MP 1/2.5 and 10MP 1/2.3 CCD sensors and the L18 comes with disassembly instructions.

It may be interesting for me to try and obtain either cheap from Ebay and see how I go about trashing them.

According to Google the 1/2.5 is 10.16mm and the 1/2.3 is approx 11mm, same as the newer L27.

My imperial days seem to be gone, I seem to understand metric so much better now. Funny, Nikon being Japanese I'd have thought their dimensions would be stated in metric??

I believe my Philips SPC880 is a 1/3" sensor (8.5mm approx) so both these sensors are larger and being CCD, something may be workable.

Archived