NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1848 (the Soul nebula) in Ha

swag72

I've had to move away from my faint supernova remnant target as last night the moon being at 93% illumination would surely drown out all of the faint signal. I decided to go for something nice and bright, so settled on IC1848 - The Soul Nebula. I thought I'd show this in Ha now as if I get my way and the OIII that I want I'm hoping to produce another orange concoction!!

Details:

M: HEQ5

T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x

C: Atik 460EX mono with 3nm Ha filter

11x1800s Ha with flats added.

post-5681-0-79523700-1376911791_thumb.jp

The full res version is on Flickr IC1848 (The Soul Nebula) Sh2-199 and LBN667 # Explored

Wow Sara, when I flit between my similar view and this one on a large screen, well mine looks absolute c**p in comparison. I would love to know how much of that is due to your filter, your scope, your skies and your skill. I could save up for a 3nm filter but the others are not possible.

That is so impressive. :blob3::blob5::blob6::blob7::blob9:

Dave

Thanks very much all - I'm sure Dave that the filter has a lot to do with it! Regarding the skies, the moon was so bright last night that it should have had quite a detrimental effect I think.

Interesting that you say about it looking clipped Francis, as I've just gone back and looked at it in PS and there's no clipping that I can see. Maybe Olly will see this and comment as when he saw my first 3nm image he thought it was a little clipped, but using the 3nm himself he can see this is not the case. He said it much better than that!!!

This image is looking good already Sara, and full narrowband colours - especially with your flair for the colours (!), will surely be a stunner. I've always thought the Soul Nebula is under-rated, it's a beautiful target as your image demonstrates, it's packed with signal, and fits well across most CCD/refractor set-ups. Would be good to see more folks have a try at this one.

Martin

Thanks Martin and Andy - Appreciate you looking. I wasn't planning on making a hubble palette of this target, but I think you and Dave Smith have probably changed my mind!! Just want to complete the mosaic first!

COR!!! The detail in that is absolutely fabulous! :) I agree that the Soul Nebula is a wonderful object and great in full NB colours. I shall be having another go at it myself now that I have the 460EX.

Archived