Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 with 200mm Nikon lens

Sam Bo

Hi all After a shot at M31 last week with my 70mm reflector, I decided to try out my non-ai 200mm Nikon lens. I am amazed at how well this has worked considering I only took 8 x 3 min subs with equivalent darks. That compares to 50 x 2 min subs last week with the scope and the final image looks considerably better IMO. I did improve the colour balance in post processing but am now considering using only my 200 mm piggybacked as my main imaging setup. Was expecting to get 5 minutes exposure on the CG5 due to the short focal length but only managed 3 minutes. Not bad for a £50 lens from ebay!

post-979-0-07676000-1376485477_thumb.jpg

200mm seems about the right focal length to do M31 in a single frame. It works quite nicely. I managed 4 minutes per sub on my EQ3-2, so i'm sure the CG5 should be able to do better than that.

James

Hi all After a shot at M31 last week with my 70mm reflector, I decided to try out my non-ai 200mm Nikon lens. I am amazed at how well this has worked considering I only took 8 x 3 min subs with equivalent darks. That compares to 50 x 2 min subs last week with the scope and the final image looks considerably better IMO. I did improve the colour balance in post processing but am now considering using only my 200 mm piggybacked as my main imaging setup. Was expecting to get 5 minutes exposure on the CG5 due to the short focal length but only managed 3 minutes. Not bad for a £50 lens from ebay!

Hi,

Well done, as an old devote of Nikon during my younger days of photography I find your capture inspirational, I still have my 180 F2.8 ED and I can't wait to get it onto my Atik and see the results.

A.G

Very nice image.

Out of interest, how would you align your mount if you just had a camera mounted on it without the scope? Could you still do a star alignment or would you have to do a drift alignment with something like Al's Reticle on your capture software? I guess I have just answered my own question haven't I. :icon_scratch:

Old camera lenses are some of the best bargains around for astro imaging as your pic proves

I sincerely hope that these lenses do not follow the same path as the humble SPC 800~900, a £20.00 webcam that became a hero and the subsequent increase in price that followed, last time I looked someone had paid £82.00 in an auction for a used example.

A.G

Archived