Hello Guys.

Destris

Hello, I'm Thomas,

Hey I have recently got into Astronomy and really took a liking to it! I have been using my dads telescopes for a little while but i am looking into buying my own. I would like to get into AstroPhotography. I would love to know some tips and information also to get fully started on my new hobby. thanks see you all around :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Thomas and welcome to this wonderful Hobby/Lifestyle. while deep sky photography can be very expensive, planets,moon and the sun (WITH THE RIGHT FILTERS) can be done fairly cheaply with a scope+webcam. take your time and just remember reason you got into this.....to have fun

Hey Thank you :) yeah I may just have fun with it at the moment like you said. I have actually just bought The practical Astronomer book by DK going to read it tonight. is there any other websites/Books for info on this topic? :D once again couldn't thank you enough

Hi Thomas and welcome to SGL, If you are really intent on purchasing a scope to use for Astrophotography, your first purchase, which many of the members will recommend, is a copy of Steve Richards book " Making Every Photon Count " see FLO top of page. A very absorbing subject open to many pitfalls for the unwary, enjoy your Astronomy :)

As far as websites go, it'd be pretty hard to top this one for information/help... for me, the best book on astro photography would have to be the one already mentioned, making every photon count. it could end up saving you a lot of money. wish i'd read it first :)

Hi Thomas and welcome to the forum. Have to agree with John (glowjet) above regarding the book - a must have resource if your are going anywhere near astrophotography or as we like to call it, the "Dark Art" :grin:

Other than that the next best advice is to take your time, plough through all the info and resources here before making any purchase. As the old saying goes, "no rush, the stars aren't going anywhere"

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Welcome.

Astrophotography is a great way to get into astronomy as I am finding out. All my budget went into my scope and mount, so while I save for the my sync scan goto drive, I use my iPhone:

These pics were my first attempt, btw.

Just got Making Every Photon Count myself and I can really recommend it. Even if you decide not to get into imaging it is a really interesting read.

Welcome to the forum.

Archived