Hi and a belated hello to you all.

leonpc

I thought it was about time I said hello. I first became a member here on 10/Aug/2010 ... I think! So this post is a bit overdue. Especially as I follow the various posts here quite regularly. SGL has proven to be a valuable resource.

I am retired disabled with Multiple Sclerosis and often have problems typing (hourly in fact), so my responses are often very short, and delayed, hence the infrequent/non-existent posts here.

I was a professional computer programmer from 1972 until 2004, but now my brain has an annoying habit of forgetting stuff I have just learnt/heard, it is often a case of one thing in, and two things out :lipsrsealed: . I started astronomy when I retired in 2004, I wanted something I could easily do without much physical effort. And, laying on my back where I fell in the garden looking up at the skies was a very easy option!

Thank-you all for the interesting stuff put on here. It has been a real treasure trove. :grin:

LOL Dana

That's a question I normally send people to sleep answering.

I programmed on loads of different kit ranging from the IBM 1400 feritte core memory mainframes from the 60's with paper card I/O and 4k memory, literally, through to the latest consumable computers around now-a-days. As a old wrinkly I have seen Microsoft from their initial start-up and something called MSDOS and their first attempt at Basic all the way through to all of their languages up to and including the ones in visual studio 5 such as J#, C# and C++, together with various incarnations of Java, also collectors items like Algol 68, Cobol, Fortran various microprocessor machine codes such as the Z80 and 6502 plus others. I forget all of them now, I have not programmed since 2006 when I started losing my memory in anger :embarassed:. I used to learn a language for a particular job a lot of times.

As well as the occasional free-lance job, I worked for an oil well surveying company writing 3d drilling survey stuff for them, some of which was used to put out the fires in the first gulf war (it wasn't just Red-ed-Air putting out the oil well fires!), through to a well known security company writing time recording and door control software, some of which got used in an weird shaped building in America ...

I used to dream code ... good ole days ...

Archived