Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 18" and 20" Truss Dobsonians

I am not so sure Mike. The practicalities are sound enough. Why make a heavy mirror box type thingy, which is heavier to cart around/more expensive when the balance can be acheived CHEAPLY, not prettily granted, by the weights?  I know Steve will have an issue with it, coming from an established manufacturer, but for me, if the price is keen enough, I am not bothered by it. Easier to sling a couple of weights in the boot separately than to have to carry the weight all together.  This is the trouble with UL designs, it is very hard to cater for all eventualities and ep combo's, especially off the shelf "mass" produced 'scopes. Hey if it works and is well priced, it will be dark anyhow, who cares? :smiley:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep I did think about that just after I posted my last comment Alan and your perfectly right, either way you are going to be carrying weight.

But just imagine putting a 31mm Nagler in the focuser, you add some weight to balance it then decide to change to a lighter 22mm Nagler....rebalance...change EP again and the same goes on all night!!  :grin:

It may be a prototype but if that mirror box is going to be light it will always have the same balance problem.

Seems a bit pointless to make a UC with a light mirror and then hang great big weights off the back of the mirror box!?

The mirror will cool a lot quicker and you won't actually be carrying around any more weight, so it seems like a good idea to me.

The big question is: Where you gonna mount the Telrad?

Russell

damn why do you guys get it first! !! I wonder if there will be little niggles that need sorting.cant wait for some feedback

Perhaps if interested, it might be worth contacting OVL, the Uk Skywatcher distributor, to get any update on when available through retailers here.

www.opticalvision.co.uk

Perhaps if interested, it might be worth contacting OVL, the Uk Skywatcher distributor, to get any update on when available through retailers here.

www.opticalvision.co.uk

Already pinged an email off to ovl last night. Will post up any response I get asap :)

Sent from my GTi9300 using random spelling mistake generator!!!!

• 1 month later...

Taking pictures is a joy to a photographer. Just because a million have taken a picture of a rose, or sunset, that doesn't mean millions of photographers won't do it again and again. Every moment is unique.

Has this been posted in the wrong thread ? - let me know if you would like it moved  :smiley:

I had a look at one of these (not sure if it was an 18 or 20) at the IAS, it was on the Widescreen stand. I had a chat with Simon about it - the one on show was still a prototype, so i'm not sure the design is finalised. All looked rather heavy to me.

There's a pic on my blog in the gallery on the page: http://starlightnights.com/callump/2014/07/ias-2014/

If you want to find out more, i'd suggest giving Simon a call about it...

Callum

This reminds me - I took some pictures at IAS specifically for this forum. Assembly of the display/demo/prototype was apparently finger tight, so it was alittle hard to draw conclusions. Overall impression was of a scope that will be a lot more expensive than the ES Dobs, simply because of the sheer amount of bespoke castings, nevermind the sandwich mirrors. Anyhoo, here you go:

wqda.jpg

vs2hl.jpg

qojwz.jpg

5gfw.jpg

Archived