Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue Price Adjustment!

Damo636

Hmmmm wonder if i have just overspent on my paracorr as i would be a bit annoyed!

The price adjustment thats the subject of this thread seems to be around 10%-11% on average. The Paracorr is covered by a 15% off sale at the moment so I can't see it coming down a further 10%.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the aggressive marketing by ES must have had an impact on TV sales and must have been a strong factor behind the TV price "adjustment". Whether TV will sustain it remains to be seen.

I've noticed that the effect here is that TV pricing is all over the shop at the moment across 3 dealers that I've been looking at. The one that stands out to me right now is the 16mm T5 Nagler at under £200 delivered from Telescope House. It's been a long time since I've seen a new Nagler priced below £200.

I've noticed that the effect here is that TV pricing is all over the shop at the moment across 3 dealers that I've been looking at. The one that stands out to me right now is the 16mm T5 Nagler at under £200 delivered from Telescope House. It's been a long time since I've seen a new Nagler priced below £200.

It does seem exceptionally chaotic. It used to be that there were three or four "bands" in the Nagler pricing. Now they're all over the shop.

James

My Ethos 21mm is in the corner sulking, upset at its loss in value! :grin: Sarah and I think ES have something to do with the reductions...

Good time to get the 21mm if you can live with the price, it is a fantastic eyepiece :smiley: It's probably my favourite, ahead of Delos, Nagler Type 6, Radian and Panoptic eyepieces. The Delos EP's are fantastic but I just love the bigger field of view with the 21mm as our lowest power eyepiece in the dob.

I didn't think I was a big fan of the lower power eyepieces, but this one changed it for me, it feels natural to me taking in the big field of view, whereas I'd been expecting having to make myself feel sick making my eyeball rotate all over the place :)

Good time to get the 21mm if you can live with the price, it is a fantastic eyepiece :smiley: It's probably my favourite, ahead of Delos, Nagler Type 6, Radian and Panoptic eyepieces. The Delos EP's are fantastic but I just love the bigger field of view with the 21mm as our lowest power eyepiece in the dob.

Hmm... gives a 3.5 degree TFOV in the ED80 :grin: ... no, must resist :evil: . It'd be near to an entire month of pay :Envy: !

I guess the aggressive marketing by ES must have had an impact on TV sales and must have been a strong factor behind the TV price "adjustment". Whether TV will sustain it remains to be seen.

Must admit I am very tempted at that price, but then I wonder should I get the ethos 17mm as its a 2" inch eyepiece and I love 2" eyepiece, but then it's over twice the price and is it twice as good as the nagler, or I could by to two naglers for the price of one ethos, decisions decisions

Is there any logic in longer focal length eyepieces costing more than shorter? Obviously there are often larger elements in the longer lengths, but look at the T4 Naglers. They are all about the same physical size, but the 12mm is considerably lighter, and yet very close to the 17mm in price. But the 22mm is 38% more expensive! Is that logical, or are TeleVue making more profit on longer f/l eyepieces?

Is there any logic in longer focal length eyepieces costing more than shorter?

Wouldn't it be fair to suggest that longer focal length eyepieces present certain engineering challenges with optical anomalies which which are more demanding to compensate for, or am I overstating the problem?

You're probably right. I know very little about optical design, hence the question. I think it might be more prone to astigmatism and distortion at longer focal lengths, but conversely less prone to spherical aberration?

Anyway, this may be a topic for another thread... Sorry to bring it up! :/

The pricing is a bit higgledy piggledy. Maybe it will balance out a bit in time. TeleVue prices in the UK have always varied from dealer to dealer, more than other brands. I remember finding Panoptics cheaper at GreenWitch than at TH, but Naglers more expensive...

Andrew

Andrew

Hmm... gives a 3.5 degree TFOV in the ED80 :grin: ... no, must resist :evil: . It'd be near to an entire month of pay :Envy: !

The Nagler 31 would give you 4.24 degrees for only 75% of a months pay :evil:

Speaking if price adjustments. The BST explorers starguiders ED also went up by 2 pounds from sky's the limit, fair enough only peanuts money, but they are now £49 instead of £47.

Makes me feel even better thanks to Jonathan pointing me to an add for a second hand one that I got for £35 on Saturday. it was pristine though and as new wen I got it, apparently only used twice, since the seller was giving up astro, it certainly looked like it had never been used, and it works great :D

These BSTs appear to hold their value more the televue !

andrew

I don't know to be honest, I never compared, but I've seen them go in the £30 - 35 range before second hand on occasion, in fact once on here in an add, but they were gone. Perhaps I was lucky this once, because I never do well on ebay with anything bidding wise, that being said, I have a 100% success rate when I press the Buy it now button :D

Jonathan,

They are a lovely eyepiece I think I can hear the plastic in your wallet trying to escape from here. I don't think we will be seeing many TV on the secondhand market until the owners have licked their wounds. I guess about 1500 quid disappeared from the value of my little lot.

Alan.

Archived