Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

celestron nexstar 8se advise

Hi everyone!

I've always had an interest in astronomy and have been using a celestron 15x75 binoculars and tripod for a while. Today I was offered a celestron nexstar 8se for £900 (a friend of a friend unwanted gift kinda thing) and was wondering if this seems like good value or if not what is a reasonable price?

What are your general opinions on this telescope?

Thanks a million!

Hi there!

The 8SE is a good scope; plenty of fans and users on the forum who can testify how good they are. In my view, I think it has good aperture, good quality optics and is quite portable (in bits) and pretty easy to set up. It should come with a diagonal, and one 25mm plossl type eyepiece. I think they're around £1250 or maybe more new. Lots of people really rate them - excellent for planets, and with enough aperture to show a good range of the feinter stuff too. Personally, I liked the fact it has go-to/tracking capability - helped me to keep interested the first few times I went out with mine.

It will work on 8 AA batteries (they'll last a couple of hours) but you're better off getting some sort of portable power supply (power tank), so you might want to factor that into your negotiations!

Some folks reckon on maybe two-thirds of new price for well-looked after second-hand astro gear. I think £900 might be on the high side, but you might feel it worth it if the scope is essentially unused, so long as it all works properly and the optics are in tip top condition. Definitely worth a look, and check the thing-out - best if you can see it in action and check that the electronics work, that the hand set is ok and it aligns and tracks properly, that the focusser works and so on.

Let us know how you get on!

Hi marki

Thanks for the reply.

I saw the scope today. Looks brand new. It was set up etc but now it's back in the box and looks perfect. He has lowered his price to 750£.

It's still a lot of money but I'm hopeful it'll hold it's value over the years. Is this correct?

Thanks again

Hi Starrgrrl - £750 seems a more reasonable. Not sure how it'll keep its value - they often seem to be around that price on Astrobuysell.

Oh, and by the way, Welcome to the forum!

Sounds a fair price, one minor "warning" expect a learning curve concerning how to use it and set it all up.

Does it by chance have a GPS module to determine the date/time and position data ? Would make it a lot easier if it had but I am not sure these were a standard item.

Only ask as I assume you are on Central European Time ( Southern Ireland ???) and your timezone is somewhat West of the "normal" timezone for this. Equally there will be someone with this scope and very likely in the same situation that has already solved any problem.

Will say nice scope, should last a lifetime without the need to upgrade so would be a good purchase from that aspect as well.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm not sure about the "set up" of it, I think it's a manual input of date and time etc. but I'll keep in mind the west of time zone thing. Thanks.

One of my main concerns of getting a scope is the upgrade part of it, i.e changing in a few years. But from what I've read it seems this one should keep me going for a long time. I hadn't planned on spending that much on one. But seems a better idea to get it and be done instead of the wondering what if.......

Thanks again for the advice.

Starrgrrl

I have the 5SE. The alignment routine is different but similar to the Skywatcher. Set up your latitude and longitude, date and time in US format and then many alignment options, easiest if you know little is Sky Align where you point the scope to and centre in the eyepiece three bright objects : now it takes me about 5 minutes tops.

Agree with everyone who tells you not to use the batteries, in a cold, Norfolk winter, 8 AA's will last little more than an hour.

Paul on here has one, think his handle is LukeSkywatcher. Search for his posts and there'll be a review.

good luck!

Chris

I dont think i ever did a review of the 8se. Great scope. Easy to set-up after the initial mess up that happens to most. 750 (euros?) is a good price for it if its in good condition. I paid just shy of 2K for mine new from a shop in Dublin. Not much else to say apart from you will really enjoy it if you go for it. If you need a power tank, you can get them from Halfords. They have a bigger storage capacity then the branded astronomy ones.

Paul

Thanks again everyone. It's 900€ actually. With a power adapter. I live in the country LP is not much of a problem from my back door.

I think I will take a gamble and get it. A lot of money for somewhat of an amateur. But it should keep me entertained for a long time.

Ill be back with some questions I'm sure.

Thanks.

Thanks again everyone. It's 900€ actually. With a power adapter. I live in the country LP is not much of a problem from my back door.

I think I will take a gamble and get it. A lot of money for somewhat of an amateur. But it should keep me entertained for a long time.

Ill be back with some questions I'm sure.

Thanks.

One tip, and looking at your handle, it probably will not apply to you - don't do the blokey thing and not read the manual. Do read it, keep it handy and learn how to use the Pointing Enhancement Accuracy ( Celestron call it "sync") and the feature that allows you to tour the best sights by constellation; is a great learning tool.

Chris

I got the 6se 2nd hand for 600euros and it came with the power tank 17v,,dew sheild,,solar filter and 3 brand new EP's

and i was well happy with that and had some good views ,,,

try and bargain with him and see if he drops the price a bit,,no harm in asking,,,

good scope in any ways you'll love it,,,

in the search box on top of page search for the SE's and read the reviews some good advise there and watch a few videos on youtube about all the set up,,

put some batteries in cos if the cord pops out you still have power and won't loose all the data you entered and stick the lead back in,,,never happened to me yet (touch wood)

Greg,,

Hi. Didn't want to start a new topic yet. So just taught I'd bump this for a start. Thanks for all advice. Basically I'm loving my new scope. Problem is so does my friend. He wants one too!!

So I'm wondering if you could offer some advice. He's willing to spend £700/€800 give or take. He's an amateur like me. He likes the compact style of the nexstar, do you think he'd be happy with the 4se as its in his budget (£490/€569)or should be push for the 5se(£775/€899) which is over his budget but would it be worth it?

Or is there another scope he should think of.

Mostly planet and lunar watching. Leading to some astrophotography in time. A goto is a must for him.

Thanks in advance

Starrgrrl

I've owned a 10" dobsonian; the views were stunning and far better as you would expect than my 5". But, could not fit the scope and family in my car together. It depends on your friends circumstances. My advice is the same that I was given ....find your local astro club and visit them, see what their members use, have a look through as many scopes as you can. Your friend will be better informed. If it will be a long lasting hobby, buy the best he can afford now, two or three upgrades down the line and he will have spent a fortune anyway. If it's a shorter term thing, then the 4 is a good compromise.

Sorry, re-reading this and have not been that helpful, but scopes are compromises and suspect most on here will have more than 1?

Chris

Thanks Chris. Any advice is good for an amateur

Just looking at a 10" dobsonian. This is probably a silly question. But does that use a mount? It looks huge and it's on the floor in the video. Is that how it's used?

Thanks

Is the simplest mount ever. Think of it as a point and shoot mount that you plonk on the ground. Some are motor driven goto's, (Skywatcher) others like the Orion Intelliscope have encoders and a box that guide you where to point the scope. Others are push to with no guidance ( need to learn to star hop) again Skywatchers. The most aperture for your money with a dobsonian. A huge following on here (why the Dob Mob have not already joined in yet puzzles me :grin: ) But less portable / carry'able. Best advice, visit a club(s) and see as many in use as possible. This holds true for any scope. There are other brand available from Telescope Express in Germany. However, have purchased in the UK from First Light optics much of my kit and can attest to how good they are with prices, delivery and post sales support. The Dob user group can explain better how many brands are produced from only a few companies in China.

Just to add, here's a

demonstration of two dobs in use. The company is no longer trading I think, but the video gives an idea of How the mount works. Goto here adds price, weight etc.

Its a good size scope to start with. It should help stave off aperture fever for many years.

Nothing staves off aperture fever other than lack of funds. That disease is easily caught simply by looking into any scope of larger aperture than the one you own, then you are doomed. Stay away from star parties at dark sites!

PS: enjoy your 8SE, it's a nice scope.

Archived