Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Perhaps the best hobby ever.

Naemeth

Yes, I know we don't get to go out much what with work and the weather, and I know cloudy nights are frustrating. It can also be a real frustration if things don't work as they should, but blimey, when things go right this hobby is absolutely amazing!

Tonight was one of those nights. No lists to complete, just casual observing sat on the patio, relaxed as anything at the scope. I tried out my new eyepieces (TV 15mm, 20mm and 32mm) along with the rest, and it struck me just how well they perform as 'just adding magnification'. There's no need to worry about getting a better view, because one doesn't exist (only wider). The TeleVue plossls and LVs seem to cease being eyepieces, and just allow the scope to perform exactly how it should.

Surprisingly, when my eyes dilated enough, the 32mm became a real joy to use, very nice and dark skies (as black as I've seen from a city!) and it was a real joy finding DSOs with 3+ degrees TFOV. I added NGC 5634 which was a small smudge, and re-visited M5, which I found by accident in 3 seconds... The rest of the night was just spent wandering the skies with the scope.

Now, I'm sure I do need to spend more time learning the constellations and where the Messiers are so I don't need my laptop, but right now all I need is the scope, my eyepiece case and I can just sit down and enjoy this hobby, something that has truly become a great hobby and part of my life.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a nice post Jonathan :smiley:

Warm, dark evenings, a decent scope and Tele Vue eyepieces - a winning combination :grin:

Astronomy has been my principle hobby for over 30 years and I seem to show few signs of tiring of it. I tend to take a relaxed approach too. The Universe will be there for a long time so theres no rush !

I hate to recommend spending even more but a good UHC filter with your 32mm plossl will show lovely views of the Veil Nebula :evil:

What a nice post Jonathan :smiley:

Warm, dark evenings, a decent scope and Tele Vue eyepieces - a winning combination :grin:

Astronomy has been my principle hobby for over 30 years and I seem to show few signs of tiring of it. I tend to take a relaxed approach too. The Universe will be there for a long time so theres no rush !

I hate to recommend spending even more but a good UHC filter with your 32mm plossl will show lovely views of the Veil Nebula :evil:

I wouldn't have said it was that warm, I still had my big coat on (after all, it's not warm sitting on a patio!) ;).

It's probably not dark enough here for seeing the Veil Nebula, an star with an apparent magnitude of about 3.7 is near-ish the limit (this was about 20 degrees up though). Luckily, there is virtually no glare or outside light sources, just general light pollution :).

Just because you've sparked my interest... which UHC would you recommend?

hi Jonathan, I agree with all you say. Great post and sums up nicely what most of us feel I reckon.

The Veil should be do-able with a filter even from your garden I think - sounds a bit like mine. I used an Oiii in a 90mm refractor I had previously and could see the two main elements at least so you should be able to do so with your scope I suspect. it's certainly readily visible (as visible as galaxies anyway) with my 6" scope. 52 Cygni is the place to start from as it's naked eye and if/when you find it, one of the elements (witches broom) is already in the field.

hi Jonathan, I agree with all you say. Great post and sums up nicely what most of us feel I reckon.

The Veil should be do-able with a filter even from your garden I think - sounds a bit like mine. I used an Oiii in a 90mm refractor I had previously and could see the two main elements at least so you should be able to do so with your scope I suspect. it's certainly readily visible (as visible as galaxies anyway) with my 6" scope. 52 Cygni is the place to start from as it's naked eye and if/when you find it, one of the elements (witches broom) is already in the field.

I wouldn't describe the majority of galaxies I've found thus far to be readily visible, more I know they are there because I caught a glimpse of them with averted vision ;). Would a UHC or OIII be better for the Veil?

I wouldn't describe the majority of galaxies I've found thus far to be readily visible, more I know they are there because I caught a glimpse of them with averted vision ;). Would a UHC or OIII be better for the Veil?

that's the epitome of readily visible in astro town :grin:

I agree with Steve that the Oiii is the tool for the job for all scopes for the Veil. also the NA neb from darker sites.

How disappointing I was convinced this topic would be about cornflake collecting

Lots of solar energy goes into producing a bowl of cornflakes, many photons :laugh:

I agree that the O-III is the most effective on the Veil Nebula although it was a Baader UHC-S used with an ED100 refractor that first showed me it. The smallest instrument that I've managed to spot the Veil with is a 15x70 binocular which showed my the brightest portion (the Eastern Veil) without a filter on a very dark night last year when Cygnus was right overhead.

My favourite view of the object is with my 102ED refractor, the Nagler 31mm and the Astronomik O-III filter. This gives me a 3.9 degree true field which is enough to see both the E & W segments of the Veil in the same FoV and, on a good night, the fainter Pickerings Wisp in between the two. One of the best sights in visual astronomy for me :grin:

My favourite view of the object is with my 102ED refractor, the Nagler 31mm and the Astronomik O-III filter. This gives me a 3.9 degree true field which is enough to see both the E & W segments of the Veil in the same FoV and, on a good night, the fainter Pickerings Wisp in between the two. One of the best sights in visual astronomy for me :grin:

Sounds absolutely brilliant, almost good enough to eat :smiley:

Enjoyable read. Just makes me want to get out there even more, stop teasing :D. I know the weather has been annoying but in a different sort of way , observing in this country when the right conditions do arrive, it will make it all the better and more enjoyable to cherish the moment again :)

I wonder what state I would have been in May when I got my scope and the weather had stayed as it did briefly. I recall 3 or 4 more night in a row well into the 1 to 2 AM mark, One time it was 2 - 3 AM. I'd probably be in bad state had it gone on. I was in zombie mode during the day for a few days, but every evening the adrenaline rush would come to wake me up later in the day to start observing again. Luckily the weather put a stop to it :)

There is a vicious rumour weather is picking up for next week, mmmmmm another BST is tempting, seeing I got my remain birthday cash left to squeeze another eyepiece out of it. :D

I agree that the O-III is the most effective on the Veil Nebula although it was a Baader UHC-S used with an ED100 refractor that first showed me it. The smallest instrument that I've managed to spot the Veil with is a 15x70 binocular which showed my the brightest portion (the Eastern Veil) without a filter on a very dark night last year when Cygnus was right overhead.

Do you think 2.46 degrees is enough? It's as large a TFOV I can get in the Heritage.

Totally agree, I love climbing, walking, skiing and photography but nothing hits the spot like a night where it all comes together perfectly and you can stare up at the cosmos and contemplate the universe in its beauty... Love it...

Absolutely agree. I'm glad you've had a good night recently. I'm still fingers crossed waiting for a clear night on a weekend so I can stay out all night and get some real dark skies for my new 350p. I'm really tempted to look at the veil and nebs, I should do some reading to get a bead on where in the sky they are.

I've recently discovered that solar astronomy provides a similar effect on the body as "drivers tan" only on the other side of your body. I had a markedly better tan on the left side of my head and my left arm is better tanned too :)

well i am really pleased you had a good night.... not many of them at the moment. This is wonderful hobby and just seems to take all the stress and rubbish of the day away. Love it!

More clear skies please... NOW :lol:

velvet

Nice thread Jonathan. Can't beat a bit of cruising about the heavens.

For the veil nebula the O-III is the tool you want. On this object the O-III leaves the UHC eating dust.

Just for information purposes:

VEIL NEBULA NGC 6960-95 (SNR in Cygnus).

DEEP-SKY: (3) Nebula is easier to see than without a filter, with both sides of the loop being visible, including the section through 52 Cygni.

UHC: (4) Large increase in detail and contrast! Nebula really stands out with some filamentary detail. Hints of other strands in the interior of the loop.

OIII: (5) ENORMOUS INCREASE IN CONTRAST AND DETAIL with wonderful fine filaments and strands visible even between the two main arcs, making the entire complex closely resemble its photograph. OIII is the filter of choice here.

H-BETA: (1) Very dim, but still visible (forget it!).

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR VEIL: OIII/UHC (OIII is somewhat better but H-BETA is NOT recommended).

Do you think 2.46 degrees is enough? It's as large a TFOV I can get in the Heritage.

Not quite I'm afraid. The Nagler 31 gives me 2.8 degrees true field with my ED120 but that's not enough to get the whole of the Veil in. Nice views of the segments separately of course and they are still great objects with an O-III filter but to get the whole thing in you need at least 3.5 degrees I reckon.

If it helps, here's a snapshot showing a 2.46 and 3.6 degree fov on the Veil.

I bought a 31t5 and OIII after reading of John's setup and it is great. I get a 3.6 degree fov with my 106mm apo and can fit the whole lot in. From a dark site I can pick up Pickerings triangle too.

post-6762-137284246692_thumb.jpg

Still worth trying with what you have got though from a dark site. It's a lovely object. Best I've seen was the Witches broom with a 15" obsession and OIII. Incredible, just like a photo.

Cheers

Stu

I found that at a dark site, and with very well adapted eyes, the OIII was better than UHC-S in the 106mm on the Veil.

I think that it is forgotten sometimes that any filter dims the view, but increases contrast, so dark adaptation is, if anything, more important with filters to get the best results. Using an OIII with a small aperture in an urban environment where you cannot get dark adapted doesn't produce great results in my experience.

Stu

Archived