2nd Scope by accident

dark_marc

OH DEAR, thats what I thought when I realised that I did win the eBay auction I was bidding on since almost two weeks.

So hat has happened?

Mid June I did bid on a 200mm Skywatcher Dob but did not even think I would win this cannon with a bid of just around £150. So got impacient and bought my 90mm refractor same time.

Yesterday the auction ran out and I ended up with that Dobson, just one year old and only used twice. Even came in original box in - what I would describe as - MINT condition. So I picked it up today and set it up in the garden. Have a nice SW view so started havig a look for my friend Saturn - THAT DOB IS AMAZING! The quality of the picture is so much better than through the refractor. Okay, I need to get used to the rockerbox and how the scope needs to be swiveled around but I am so happy.

Well, will probably keep both scopes for now, the Dob for the garden and the refractor because of transportability.

On a final note -

I have read quiet a lot about the size of Dobs and how difficult it is to transport the tube in a car. Apparently even in its cardboard box it does fit nicely on the back seat, however I do have problems with the transport of the rockerbox....its base is simply to big to fit into my cars boot (Saab 9-3 Saloon!!!), so it needs to sit on the passengers seat next to me instead :-) So no way I can drive both, Dob and wife to a distant stargazing site or an event ;-)

post-30988-13726316308_thumb.jpg

These are the sort of tales I like and find amusing.

Probably got yourself 2 decent and complimentry scopes there.

Hope you manage to enjoy both for the bits that are most suited to.

P.S. If wife is interested then try sort out the transpoert of both (comfortably) in the car, it makes life easier.

Hi and welcome to SGL, nice scopes, that must have been a serendipity moment for you, winning the auction. Can you fit a roof rack to your vehicle ? possible cheap solution to your problem :)

ive had exactly the same experiance. won a 150p dob on ebay for £50. it was an impulse bid that i didnt expect to win. however i was amazed by the view of saturn.

i could see 3 moons and detail on the planet. ive never seen that with my konusky200 8" newt. thinking about fitting it to my eq5 mount for tracking.

people at kelling heath told me about the poor optics in my konus but i never realised just how right they were. :(

OH DEAR, thats what I thought when I realised that I did win the eBay auction I was bidding on since almost two weeks.

So hat has happened?

Mid June I did bid on a 200mm Skywatcher Dob but did not even think I would win this cannon with a bid of just around £150. So got impacient and bought my 90mm refractor same time.

Yesterday the auction ran out and I ended up with that Dobson, just one year old and only used twice. Even came in original box in - what I would describe as - MINT condition. So I picked it up today and set it up in the garden. Have a nice SW view so started havig a look for my friend Saturn - THAT DOB IS AMAZING! The quality of the picture is so much better than through the refractor. Okay, I need to get used to the rockerbox and how the scope needs to be swiveled around but I am so happy.

Well, will probably keep both scopes for now, the Dob for the garden and the refractor because of transportability.

On a final note -

I have read quiet a lot about the size of Dobs and how difficult it is to transport the tube in a car. Apparently even in its cardboard box it does fit nicely on the back seat, however I do have problems with the transport of the rockerbox....its base is simply to big to fit into my cars boot (Saab 9-3 Saloon!!!), so it needs to sit on the passengers seat next to me instead :-) So no way I can drive both, Dob and wife to a distant stargazing site or an event ;-)

On that last paragraph.........wife...telescope...wife...telescope ummm telescope does,nt talk as much think i know my answer :eek:

On that last paragraph.........wife...telescope...wife...telescope ummm telescope does,nt talk as much think i know my answer :eek:

:-) believe it or not she is really interested in astronomy, was extremely excited when I was able to have a look at Venus yesterday evening just after sunset. Looks like we will have another cloudless evening today until about 11pm so more to explore tonight.

Got myself a copy of TLAO so will probably make the move for M57 tonight :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is no way I could get away with buying two scopes as my other half would certainly be having 'words' with me if I did. Mind you, your story has given me an idea of how I might get round the problem with what looks likely to be a fool proof story!! - we shall see if it works. :grin: :grin:

Clear skies

James

Welcome to SGL, that is a nice bargain you got there :)

There is no way I could get away with buying two scopes as my other half would certainly be having 'words' with me if I did. Mind you, your story has given me an idea of how I might get round the problem with what looks likely to be a fool proof story!! - we shall see if it works. :grin: :grin:

Clear skies

James

Here is a solution, buy a trailer, buy a very big DOB 50, inch or so, and the other half can fit inside the OTA. leaving room for accessories on the front seat and all :D

There is no way I could get away with buying two scopes as my other half would certainly be having 'words' with me if I did.

That seems dreadfully unfair. You wouldn't insist that your OH only had one shoe, would you?

James

I consider myself lucky I can't fit the rest of the family in with the (main) scope otherwise I'd have them pestering me to do non-astro activities when I'm at star parties.

Btw I have that problem and my last car was a 9-5 Estate and now a Volvo V70 - aperture fever eh? I guess I'll eventually end up with something requiring a Class IV Mot :/

Oh, and we all have those sorts of "accidents" at one time or another. ;)

Here is a solution, buy a trailer, buy a very big DOB 50, inch or so, and the other half can fit inside the OTA. leaving room for accessories on the front seat and all :D

Ha Ha don't think I haven't thought of that given that we have a large trailer but I am going to have to be a bit more imaginative to get anything in past her radar! :grin: :grin: :grin:

That seems dreadfully unfair. You wouldn't insist that your OH only had one shoe, would you?

James

If I had as many scopes as my other half has shoes then I think I might give FLO a run for their money! In fairness she isn't that bad but I do have to put together a decent presentation with time for questions at the end for any purchase over a couple of hundred quid! :grin: :grin:

James

Archived