Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tube flock and mirror wash

Starflyer

I do like my little Skywatcher, but I also like to tinker :(

I was inspired by Daz's mirror wash and Dave's flocking threads. Here's a few pics from last night;

Tube before flocking;

2545_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Mirror before wash;

2546_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Mirror after a very gentle wash with very dilute soapy water, tons of cotton wool balls used, many rinses with filtered water and then a quick blowdry with SWMBO's hairdryer;

2547_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tube flocked and part assembled;

2548_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Secondary edge flocked and job finished;

2549_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I popped home at lunchtime and got it collimated, the forecast looks good tonight so hopefully I'll be able to get a couple of hours of observing / imaging done. I'll let you know if I can see any difference.

Thanks for reading,

Ian

Ian, the third picture down - I'm really worried as it looks like you've painted your mirror black? :shock: :)

:D :D :lol:

Thanks Mathew, Dave and Tony, the hardest bit was getting the flocking smooth and square in the tiny tube.

Hi Craig - the scariest part for me was removing the mirror from the cell, I knew if I slipped with the screwdriver it would all be over :shock: The wash worried me too but went really well, I soaked it for about 30 mins and nearly all of the fluff / pollen came off when I lifted it out of the water. I'd read lots on doing this; I only used the weight of the wet cotton wool ball and followed the one ball one wipe rule.

Hi Daz - I used a self adhesive felt from here; http://www.craft-felt.co.uk/sarmtr.htm I've got enough left over to knock up a 'camping mat' dew shield :lol:

I did get set up last night; the Pleiades cluster looked as lovely as ever, the nebulosity in Orion s sword was quite well defined. I set up the lappy to try and grab some images of Mars, it was clear one minute and then I looked up and there was almost solid cloud :(

I'll keep you posted and I'm hoping the next batch of my images will show some increase in contrast.

Thanks,

Ian

Archived