Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces case from scratch...finished!

emadmoussa

Hola,

Bit by bit over a couple of days I managed to build a wooden box specifically designed to accommodate eyepieces and related astronomical equipment. It was a trial and error, but finally finished. I'm aware the top level will require a bit more work. I'm thinking some divisions for accessories. I will also install a red led light, and perhaps caster wheels as well as a side pocket for star maps and similar materials. I'm saying that, but I might get lazy and just live with the box as it is. After all, it contains the the content of two flight cases and still has some room left.

Bear in mind this one is not a travel astronomy box.

Here are some photos...thoughts are appreciated :)

post-27451-0-58706900-1371400115_thumb.j

post-27451-0-40882700-1371400124_thumb.j

post-27451-0-21928900-1371400134_thumb.j

post-27451-0-42930300-1371400188_thumb.j

post-27451-0-46484800-1371400201_thumb.j

post-27451-0-44130200-1371400212_thumb.j

For someone with self confessed shakey hands and a fear of dismantling their scope you've done a good job their. I'd second moonshanes tip as well.

Lol, yes...I think it's a matter of practice really - trial and error and finding the most efficient way to do things. :) When I used the sander I got shaky completely and so my world turned into a shaky realm. Shaky working in a shaky world is a perfect fit :D

As for the for the top layer. I made 1.25" and 2" holes for the most used eyepieces during a session like suggested. Also, as a holder for swapped eyepiece..for a quick throw-in-and-forget-about-it. :D If I need more than two, I could simply swap the trays for easier access.

For someone with self confessed shakey hands and a fear of dismantling their scope you've done a good job their. I'd second moonshanes tip as well.

yea i agree but you want to see the state of his fingers now !

Nice job Imad, very functional and pretty tidy on top. Think Castors may be a boon as it looks a good size, as does your EP collection - think I'd be tempted to add a vinyl upholstered cushion on top and have it serve as a wheel around seat.

What's the next project - 18" dob by any chance? ;)

Well done Emad - Can you make me one please :grin:

All my equipment is listed below :smiley: You should have it done by Monday evening if you get straight on with it :laugh:

Lol, you're welcome, mate. Maybe I should quit my job and start building some niche eyepiece cases :) Best way to declare bankruptcy in less than a week :D

Archived