NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gamma Cygni nebula in Ha with Canon 1100D

Epicycle

Hi,

last night was clear and I managed to add enough subs for a reasonable rendition of the wonderful area

around Sadr. Not quite as clean and detailed as several of the excellent ccd images we've seen in this forum recently, but I'm satisfied with it; I can now move to OIII and see how it goes and maybe just take some plain colour and merge, we'll see.

Anyway, the details are:

-Canon 1100D @iso 1600 with Megrez 72 and 0.8 reducer (hence operating @ 4.8)

-38 subs of 10m

-Guided with PhD and SX Costar

-Capture and stacking in Nebulosity and processing in StarTools

-All done in Mac natively (thanks to EqMac).

Here is the link to a full resolution version:

http://www.astrobin....45158/?mod=none

Thanks for looking, comments welcome!

cheers

Epicycle

post-25876-0-26190200-1371235203_thumb.j

Thats a great image. I'm amazed at the dedication of imagers like yourself staying up late at this time of year for what must be a couple of hours of useable night, at best.

Looking forward to seeing this in colour!

well i think that has come out really well!! Very nice

Fay

That's very good - just shows what can be done with a DSLR particularly the 1100D which is arguably the best DSLR for astro use :)

Wow!

Thanks for the comments and kind words!

Yes Gina, I agree, the 1100D is quite a reasonable camera, but I do want a ccd now!

E.

Yes, now you know how to get the best out of the data, I'm sure we can look forward to some amazing images when you get a CCD :) I found an enormous benefit with the extra sensitivity and ultra low noise when I upgraded to the mono Atik 314 L+.

Crickey, that is amazing for a DSLR. I was sure that was a cooled CCD.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I guess one of the main differences between the dslr shot and the ccd one appears when you zoom in a little closer: the ccd shots (like your excellent recent one with the 460ex!) show amazing details in the filaments of the dark nebula.

Fabulous image, and it shows what you can achieve with a lot of data. I've just posted my effort with only 3 x 10 mins of Ha, so I'm now keen to get out . . . if only the weather would permit.

Barry

Looks good to me.

Thanks!

I prefer the mono ha shots to color,call me thick is the cam modded i bet it is

pat

Yes, it's modded.

Cracking shot E, very smooth with lots of detail,

38 subs have smoothed the image out alot.

well done,

Paul.

Thanks Paul!

nice image, great for Canon indeed.

Did you use only Red channel?

Mark

Thanks Mark. I converted directly the subs to mono via a 2x2 low noise bin in Nebulosity 3. Only after that I aligned and stacked.

It's seems to work well to get rid off of most of the noise; it also makes sense since only 1/4 of the Bayer matrix is being used,

cheers

E.

Archived