Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bizibilder's (New) Roll off roof Observatory build

Bizibilder

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the whole thing waterproof????

You bet it is!!  We have just had around twenty minutes of torrential rain (complete with thunder and lightning) and squalling wind making the rain blow horizontally across the gardens.  Quite impressive to watch it.  Anyway as soon as it had stopped I went out to see how the whole thing had stood up to it and was pleasantly surprised to find the inside of the building perfectly dry - even though the rain had been blown into the porch and there were raindrops two thirds of the way up the door!  This was a good test too as the wind was from the south/southeast which is the "worst" direction as it is blowing directly into the "gap" between the roof and the door end of the building - it appears that the overlaps and "sill" are doing their job.

• 6 months later...

Just an update about a couple of little jobs that have been done recently.  Firstly I had a problem with mould on the underside of the roof - just the plywood, nothing at all on any other timber - this has now been treated with a wipe down with bleach solution followed by two coats of wood preservative that is supposedly anti mould.  The whole thing will be left now for a couple of months to see if the problem is cured.

Before:  post-4502-0-71327300-1398025642_thumb.jp    and after:  post-4502-0-99669400-1398025641_thumb.jp

I have also levelled and laid some turf to tidy up the whole area under the roll off roof supports - I can easily get the lawnmower under the structure.  The joins in the turf will soon "grow out".

post-4502-0-52090500-1398025737_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Great job Roger, its amazing how well you get to know the delivery drivers when you build an Obsy!!

One absolutely vital fact that I noticed is that  your neighbour always seems to have washing on her line!!

Regards

Mike

Greetings

Very nice workmanship throughout the build I hope mine can be half as good the mould issue screams lack of ventilation, may be worth adding a small vent high up on a fixed wall.

Andy

I believe that I was simply suffering from an exceptionally long period of warm, damp weather over the last winter.  Over the entire winter we only had a few nights with a light frost and much of the time everything was soaked in either rain or heavy dew.

• 10 months later...

Another winter has passed and the observatory has come through it unscathed.  The roof mould is completely controlled and has not reappeared - just the old black stains can be seen.  The underside of the roof should get a coat of shed paint this summer.  I have also finally got around to paving the small strip of ground between the observatory and the fence.  The temporary plastic guard did its job but heavy rain caused muddy splashback onto the base of the observatory wall.

Last autumn I removed the guard and used some spare paving bricks to cover the area, a small "french drain" of pea shingle finished things off.  This has worked well and there is no sign of mud on the wall at all - plus the water can run off easily.  The bricks are laid on a bed of 6:1 sharp sand and cement laid dry - this has firmed up over the winter but has not "set solid" and so can be broken up easily if required at a later date.

post-4502-0-88695600-1427731341.jpg

I had the roof mould last year, this year nothing has appeared i didn't put any thing on the affected area's so it may have been the warmer weather last year, the reason for not curing the problem i intend to alter the roof to a roll-off sideways atm it slides half to the rear and half to the front......nice bit of brick paving.......

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived